SP or power

Ask for or give help with trade offers, coach point distribution, draftee rankings, or anything else specific to team strategy.
minnesotamike

SP or power

Post by minnesotamike »

i am in the Ashburn Crawford League and our draft is comin up, i have the second pick and i am lookin at 2 players, one with A+ power from both sides and a SP with A-, B+, A-, both are in their mid 20's, so, age should not be a problem, my BA was .244 and hit 132 HRs, and my slugging was .367,my ERA 5.80, which one should i draft
MDorf

Re: SP or power

Post by MDorf »

Not the pitcher. I'm looking at your draft class, and he's 26 years old and B+ overall. Here is the draft class:
http://simdynasty.com/draftbyleague.jsp?leagueid=4250
Tanaka is fine, though I would probably go Gabrielson over him. There are a lot of players I would pick before the pitcher, though. You don't win championships by drafting #4 starters just because you need pitchers. I would take Knowles, Savage, Parrott, Lelivelt, Riesgo, and probably Ward ahead of Urrutia. For pitchers, I would also take Malis and Reicle and probably even a few relievers before him as well.
minnesotamike

Post by minnesotamike »

ty,M for your help, i have Gabrielson in the 2nd spot, and you are right about the pitcher, that was my concern about him also, him being 26, i guess i stopped at Tanaka and didn't go any further, so, lesson learned, look at the whole draft class, my thinking was since my relievers are decent, i would try the waiver wire for some SP, that's why i was leaning towards power, does that make sense
MDorf

Post by MDorf »

In almost all cases, you need to draft in order of most talent on down. Assuming you want playoffs and championships, improving a bad team to mediocre is pointless. You need to get as many excellent, great, and good players as possible. There are exceptions, such as CP leagues sometimes require you to take an older player. I also rarely draft relief pitchers super high unless the talent dropoff is so significant that I can't justify it otherwise. My goal is always 8 allstar hitters in the lineup, 3 great starting pitchers and 2 good starting pitchers, and my bullpen to have an ace with 3 more at least mid A minus skills. It doesn't always end up that way, but that's the target. You can't draft all that either, so you have to trade. If you are drafting the right prospects, you can trade them for what fits your timeline.
matthewlee3

Post by matthewlee3 »

Holy hell what a draft class, and also basically all the guys I would have ranked at or near the top went in the teens? Lelievelt went 46? wow
tworoosters

Post by tworoosters »

Can I ask who went #1 ?

To me it's insane that Tanaka fell all the way to #6 and Parrott to #14.
MDorf

Post by MDorf »

tworoosters

Post by tworoosters »

That is not who I would have chosen

Return to “Baseball Team, Draft and Trade Help”