Where to go with this team?

Ask for or give help with trade offers, coach point distribution, draftee rankings, or anything else specific to team strategy.
Gardy101

Where to go with this team?

Post by Gardy101 »

http://www.simdynasty.com/depth.jsp?teamid=95498

I have had this team for a few seasons now, and when I picked them up, they were in a 120-loss season. Since then, things have improved *slightly*, and some good hitters have developed. But I cannot seem to catch a break with the pitching. I've been at the high end of the draft for years now and only manage to come away with borderline prospects on the pitching side. I did get one guy who I had high hopes for in Heaney, but he has gone 0/77 with ICs (hence his extremely early promotion, to see if he can improve on some MLB ICs instead).

Basically my situation is that I have a logjam of hitters who I like, and an absolute wasteland on the other side. Who would you trade? How should I arrange my CPs/proceed with this team?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance.
Gardy101

Re: Where to go with this team?

Post by Gardy101 »

Basically, I'm wondering if I should start another rebuilding process or not.
gannable

Post by gannable »

real quick - im not sure if there is anyone on the roster that would make sense trading, so i dont see tearing anything down as an option.

again, i looked at it for about 15 seconds
Ty031699

Post by Ty031699 »

I had just started chaperoning this team when you purchased it and pitching was always on the weaker side of things. From what I can remember, I was lucky enough to make a few trades for some younger decent pitching prospects but appears they are no longer on the team. This team was in for a long rebuild especially with the combo of limited cp's and variable development.

A few things I notice.

1. Having a F mentor score is not doing any of your young guys justice. With Gavin, Early, & Blackburn turning 28 prior to the start of next season that will help but I would try to trade Barney, Buckley, & Masiel for good mentors. I would think Buckley you could offer up to a contender for an A+ mentor and a future 2nd rounder. The other two I would be happy to get A+ mentors, if not, I would consider waiving them and acquiring A+ mentors for the WW.

2. I would move Long to the OF. That range will not do you any favors at 3B. If I had to, I would either play Early at 2B and move Kieker to 3B or simply play Early at 3B. Either way, it will setup Long for where he will ultimately serve your team the best. The rest of your lineup looks ok to me but you might want to think about moving Sheridan to LF. Edwards in CF, Long in RF, and Sheridan in LF is what I would do.

3. Pitching is what it is but at least you have two younger players in Fast and Humphries that appear to be developing nicely. Maybe you get lucky and McGilvray and Peterson improve into # 4 & 5 starters. I can't imagine Brown eventually being good enough to warrant not taking away his cp's and putting them on Fast, Humphries, or one of your better hitting prospects.

4. I would start training Howard for the OF and Briggs for 2B or 1B (after he's fully trained in CF).
Gardy101

Post by Gardy101 »

Thanks for the feedback, and I definitely didn't mean to be dismissive of the work you had done with the team previously. There were a lot of first round draft picks brought in prior to my taking over the team. It's just that those drafts ended up being very heavy on hitting and weak in pitching.

The mentoring has definitely been something I've struggled with. I have been trying to keep it up as much as I can, but it has been hard to do so while also trying to get as much playing time as possible for all of the hitting prospects. I did scrap this strategy in the last month of this season to in favor of just playing the younger players as much as possible, which is partly why the mentoring score is the way it is. I'll try and take the approach you mentioned to acquire more.
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

For some reason System 2 and 6 are the darlings of 12gpd and higher subscription leagues. they are a challenge. System 3,4 or 5 are better development rules,good luck drafts have been short on pitching everywhere. It is harder when only 3 or 4 can be developed.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Michael1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 am System 3,4 or 5 are better development rules

It is harder when only 3 or 4 can be developed.
OK Captain Obvious
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

WillyD that was a polite way of saying Old School SimD players like hanging out in the past and doing speedy Dynasty from the old days. I am in one of those leagues 15 games system 6 Best player in the league is a high 80's player overall. Oh and the VD in the league doesn't always help you either. But it is a competitive league.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

OK, but what does that have to do with the topic of the thread?

Maybe we should create a separate forum called Michael's Musings. That would be a fun place to visit when I'm really bored and need a mystery to solve, or just for a good laugh.
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

These leagues need to come into the present and stop hanging in the past. It might help sell them. OF course Covid needs to go away so players can work and pay for teams. You have even said you would not play 2 or 6 minors. And if guys like you dislike them they may need to go.

Return to “Baseball Team, Draft and Trade Help”