Trade advice in the Wilson Roberts League (Private/Speed League)

Ask for or give help with trade offers, coach point distribution, draftee rankings, or anything else specific to team strategy.
MDorf

Re: <t>Trade advice in the Wilson Roberts League (Private/Speed League)</t>

Post by MDorf »

ttreese wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 pm
MDorf wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:06 pmHe has a chance to get to B/A+, but it will be very low. He will never be good.
That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? :?:

Cy Young Award Winner who has been B/A+ much of his career. Lifetime WHIP of 1.20 and Career ERA of 3.28. I'd take more of these B/A+ pitchers all day long... :lol:
B/A+ pitchers can be great, but I'm guessing the guy you posted was something like 66/100. The guy in question here tops out at 61/93. He might have one season in the low 3's, but he isn't living there. Also, right now he is B-/A. You aren't going to have a playoff first if you are giving him significant innings right now. For all we know, he could be 52/84. Right now, he isn't helping you win. You don't trade for 29 year old pitchers if you aren't trying to win now. You only trade for them on potential if you are buying low.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

ttreese wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 pm
MDorf wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:06 pmHe has a chance to get to B/A+, but it will be very low. He will never be good.
That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? :?:

Cy Young Award Winner who has been B/A+ much of his career. Lifetime WHIP of 1.20 and Career ERA of 3.28. I'd take more of these B/A+ pitchers all day long... :lol:
Have to agree with MDorf. The guy might make low B/A+. Huge difference between low B/A+ and high B/A+. A pitcher like that will beat the bad teams more often than not, but get lit up by the good teams.

I have had many HOF B/A+ pitchers over my time in SimD, but they all had one thing in common. Max 100 control.
ttreese

Post by ttreese »

MDorf wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:39 pm B/A+ pitchers can be great, but I'm guessing the guy you posted was something like 66/100. The guy in question here tops out at 61/93.
My guy - George MacDonald was 60/92 (B/A+) most of his career starting at OS26 maxing out around 65/97 and was a huge asset both as a starter and out of the bullpen. He even won a Cy Young one year.

I show Bobby Smyres at 55/58 and agree maybe he gets to 60/92 which isn't that great but does have value. The original team considering him in a trade is no longer in playoff contention so trade is moot and not worthy of the trade now; at least not for a mid-level 1st round pick in my opinion.

I agree a team in contention could and should get a bigger impact player if trading a 1st round pick to win now.
ttreese

Post by ttreese »

WillyD wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:56 amThe guy might make low B/A+. Huge difference between low B/A+ and high B/A+. A pitcher like that will beat the bad teams more often than not, but get lit up by the good teams.

I have had many HOF B/A+ pitchers over my time in SimD, but they all had one thing in common. Max 100 control.
I agree. It's good to pay attention to low vs high ratings especially for a player like this; B/A+. I see B/A+ and think stud player but actually some caution here is good. Being on the low or high end here would make a big difference. Clearly being on the upper end of control should make the pitcher way more effective as would being higher on the velocity side as well...

Also true about beating bad teams in regular season but may not be as effective in playoffs. Something you see a lot; good teams in regular season but then they drop off in playoffs...A player like this would contribute to that.

I think still a player of value but with limited trade value.
MDorf

Post by MDorf »

My main point is you don't trade for 29 year olds based on their potential.

Return to “Baseball Team, Draft and Trade Help”