Back-up Infielders & Outfielders

Ask for or give help with trade offers, coach point distribution, draftee rankings, or anything else specific to team strategy.
AuraStar

Back-up Infielders & Outfielders

Post by AuraStar »

I'm wondering what what skills are best for back-up infielders and outfielders?

As defensive replacements, I'd assume you'd want to have decent speed, range and arm strength?

At the plate, what has more value for a pinch hitter: contact or power?
WillyD

Re: Back-up Infielders & Outfielders

Post by WillyD »

AuraStar wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:56 am I'm wondering what what skills are best for back-up infielders and outfielders?

As defensive replacements, I'd assume you'd want to have decent speed, range and arm strength?

At the plate, what has more value for a pinch hitter: contact or power?
Speed has no effect on defense. In regards to arm and range, arm is much more important to OF's so they can stop stretching, and range more important for infielders.

For pinch hitting, all the matters is that the player can hit, whether it be thru contact or power. Speed plays a factor as well, especially for contact hitters.
gannable

Post by gannable »

i try to have 9 good hitters. Then, I'll use the extra one as first sub at all positions. I try to have decent range with that guy so he's not a liability in the infield.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

gannable wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:15 pm i try to have 9 good hitters. Then, I'll use the extra one as first sub at all positions. I try to have decent range with that guy so he's not a liability in the infield.
You'd be better off having your starting infielder with the best arm backup the corners OF spots (or another backup if you have an appropriate one), and have the player you mention backup his spot in the infield. Have you best starting defensive corner OF backup the CF spot. It's more efficient, and will provide more positional flexibility if you're hit with injuries in the playoffs or right before they start. A lot of owners don't use (or don't know how to use the fill order on the backup vs RHP and LHP pages.

Return to “Baseball Team, Draft and Trade Help”