Top Pick?

Ask for or give help with trade offers, coach point distribution, draftee rankings, or anything else specific to team strategy.
PhillyDynasty

Top Pick?

Post by PhillyDynasty »

Is Paul Hampton the top pick in this draft?
PhillyDynasty

Re: Top Pick?

Post by PhillyDynasty »

I am strapped for CPs, so age is a factor for my leaning toward Hampton.
MDorf

Post by MDorf »

I don't think there is any question that Hampton is the top pick
bahstonwedsawks

Post by bahstonwedsawks »

I would take Krug, he'll develop the endurance that you want that might currently be giving you pause. Even with a CP crunch shuffle some things around to make it work. Krug is special at B- overall at OS17.
#1 Overall Owner All-Time in these categories:
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
Playoff Apprncs Pct (96%)
http://simdynasty.com/ownerleaders.jsp? ... &submit=Go
bahstonwedsawks

Endurance is oftentimes overrated. The SP vs RP endurance question reminds me of this quote from The Office...

Michael: Alright. OK, OK. What is better: a medium amount of good pizza or all you can eat of pretty good pizza?
Everyone: Medium amount of good pizza.
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Hampton is solid choice if you have CP issues. Krug will be at least a little better, likely B/B+ (B+ overall) by the time he's Hampton's age, but the endurance and the CP situation have to be factored in. I wonder where Hampton is in his grades. If he pops a B/A- combo by mid-season of year 1, you have yourself a very good starting pitcher!
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

WillyD wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 am Hampton is solid choice if you have CP issues. Krug will be at least a little better, likely B/B+ (B+ overall) by the time he's Hampton's age, but the endurance and the CP situation have to be factored in. I wonder where Hampton is in his grades. If he pops a B/A- combo by mid-season of year 1, you have yourself a very good starting pitcher!
This is the big issue--there's a huge difference between a low B-/low B+ and a high B-/high B+ given his age. No way to know, sadly.
bahstonwedsawks wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:23 am I would take Krug, he'll develop the endurance that you want that might currently be giving you pause. Even with a CP crunch shuffle some things around to make it work. Krug is special at B- overall at OS17.
The D endurance means that he's unlikely to develop into a starter, and I feel like relief pitchers are easier to get in trades as final pieces during a run, than a great starter. Plus, Krug has D- health, which scares me.
bahstonwedsawks

PhillyDynasty wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:05 pm
This is the big issue--there's a huge difference between a low B-/low B+ and a high B-/high B+ given his age. No way to know, sadly.
Sure you can! Adjust the draft ranking settings to see where the prospect ranks in a specific category among the other draftees. If there are 8 guys with a particular grade in velocity, then see where he ranks among those 8. If he's 3rd among 8, then the odds are he's at the grade plus 5 improves (1st is +7, 2nd is +6, 3rd is +5, etc.). Do that for velocity and control.
PhillyDynasty wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:05 pm
The D endurance means that he's unlikely to develop into a starter, and I feel like relief pitchers are easier to get in trades as final pieces during a run, than a great starter. Plus, Krug has D- health, which scares me.
He'll develop green endurance for sure, which is good enough to use in your rotation. And SP's are overrated... just have him as your first arm out of the bullpen in every game regardless of the situation. He will rack up plenty of innings with C endurance (and he'll have better endurance than that).

Health should not factor into your decision at all. Not one bit.
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
bahstonwedsawks

PM me for details on how to specifically set your draft rankings if you'd like.
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

bahstonwedsawks wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:28 pm Sure you can! Adjust the draft ranking settings to see where the prospect ranks in a specific category among the other draftees.
I never considered this...a great example of what I love about the game--I've been playing for years, but now there's a new strategy bit for me to consider!

Can I just sort the players, or do I need to alter the auto-ranking settings and re-rank the whole draft?

Return to “Baseball Team, Draft and Trade Help”