Turd Phobia

Ask for or give help with trade offers, coach point distribution, draftee rankings, or anything else specific to team strategy.
gannable

Turd Phobia

Post by gannable »

Now, I'm expanding the definition of "Turd" to any player who falls far short of expectations due to abysmal improvements.

This league is variable improvement and I've had many pitchers who should have been A overall, bonafide aces who got slaughtered on improvements.

I'm tempted to promote this player but I fear he will never have an improvement at the major leagues and thus become another one of my turds.

Should I promote him? No other considerations, only his welfare. Not worried about the draft, contending, etc.

http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?player ... d=12693807

http://simdynasty.com/depth.jsp?teamid=84943
WillyD

Re: Turd Phobia

Post by WillyD »

Ideally, you want to give pitchers 25 major league IC's for a couple seasons while they still have options.

In this case, with too small a sample size to make a good guess if he's a majors bust or not, I'd leave him down until he's A overall, or until you really need him to make the playoffs.
gannable

Post by gannable »

i made a mistake in not calling him up sooner. i waited until september the past 2 seasons.
MDorf

Post by MDorf »

The only way for him to be a bust in the majors is if he is a gem in the minors. Those don't look like gem improves to me.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

MDorf wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:04 am The only way for him to be a bust in the majors is if he is a gem in the minors. Those don't look like gem improves to me.
Great point! I didn't look at the improves. They're pretty normal.
gannable

Post by gannable »

Do you think I should promote him?

I would like to open up CP's.

My issue is that I'be been burnt so many times with pitchers that it makes me nervous; however, I would be better off if i could make those cp's available to others.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

I would if you need the CPs. If you're still worried, maybe leave him down until July 1st, then promote him and get 25 major league ICs. That optimizes his development, and allows you to get some other prospects a decent amount of ICs.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

WillyD wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 am Ideally, you want to give pitchers 25 major league IC's for a couple seasons while they still have options.

In this case, with too small a sample size to make a good guess if he's a majors bust or not, I'd leave him down until he's A overall, or until you really need him to make the playoffs.
Can you explain why this would be beneficial? You have seen better improvement by them splitting time between minors and majors for a couple, few seasons?
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

It's beneficial, really, only in Variable Development leagues, to help in identifying what type of developmental curve the player is on. If you don't play with the VarDev rule, it's not necessary.

Well, IMHO.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

ballmark wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:12 am It's beneficial, really, only in Variable Development leagues, to help in identifying what type of developmental curve the player is on. If you don't play with the VarDev rule, it's not necessary.

Well, IMHO.
Not true Mark!

At certain ages pitchers have a better conversion rate in the majors, but only the first 25 go to just vel and control. After that a third to a half of them go to endurance. In the minors, the vast majority of IC's go to vel and control. So you get more chances, more than making up for a slightly lower conversion rate.

Return to “Baseball Team, Draft and Trade Help”