Top Pick

Ask for or give help with trade offers, coach point distribution, draftee rankings, or anything else specific to team strategy.
PhillyDynasty

Top Pick

Post by PhillyDynasty »

I unexpectedly have the top pick in this draft.

My team is young and many of my major league starters are underwhelming young guys thus far. But, I still have a decent amount of young hitting talent.

I have Olson as the #1 ranked prospect, but is Hodges a better fit for my team given his age and the fact that he would slide right in as my second-best pitching prospect at OS22? Should I bet on Hurst's better control split? Or take the time to try to develop Martinez into a B/max control starter?
SouthSideSox

Re: Top Pick

Post by SouthSideSox »

Hodges is an A- overall A-/B+ long reliever worst case. Even if he projects higher, his endurance is a bit low for his age. Ok but underwhelming as a top pick.

Hurst is an A- overall B+/A- starter. Maybe a little better than Hodges but again a little underwhelming.

I bet on Martinez for an A- overall B-/A+ starter. Best of the 3 pitchers in my opinion. Good player but not your top ace if you're picking #1.

Olson is it all the way for me. He's probably an All Star every year - maybe a future hall of famer.
tworoosters

Post by tworoosters »

Of note, the BHL is a maximum injury, variable development league
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

I'd take Olson. If you get overstocked on hitting, you can always use him as a trade chip to get a high quality starting pitcher, when one becomes available.
dirtdevil

Post by dirtdevil »

WillyD wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm I'd take Olson. If you get overstocked on hitting, you can always use him as a trade chip to get a high quality starting pitcher, when one becomes available.
i have the #2 pick and have Olson first on my board. Having said that, if you're counting on dealing him for a high quaity starting pitcher down the road you're likely to be disappointed.
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

dirtdevil wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 pm
WillyD wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm I'd take Olson. If you get overstocked on hitting, you can always use him as a trade chip to get a high quality starting pitcher, when one becomes available.
i have the #2 pick and have Olson first on my board. Having said that, if you're counting on dealing him for a high quaity starting pitcher down the road you're likely to be disappointed.
Agreed. Olson will go #1.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

dirtdevil wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 pm
i have the #2 pick and have Olson first on my board. Having said that, if you're counting on dealing him for a high quality starting pitcher down the road you're likely to be disappointed.
That's not what I said or implied. I said you could use him as a chip.

It takes a quality package of picks, prospects to nab a top SP. I would wager top quality hitters are just as valuable as an average pitcher. That being said, there are times, depending on market conditions and the trading partner's situation, that you'll need at least one pitching prospect included in your package.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

He just means that trade volume in this particular league is way down in recent seasons

Return to “Baseball Team, Draft and Trade Help”