Developing a player in the majors

Ask for or give help with trade offers, coach point distribution, draftee rankings, or anything else specific to team strategy.
Slvanlae

Developing a player in the majors

Post by Slvanlae »

I am a newbie, just purchased existing team. In projecting this coming season roster I had planned on carrying 2 high draft picks from the last couple years and letting them develop in the majors as my team is in a major rebuild. In reading CONVERTING MAJOR LEAGUES ICs I read the following which gave me pause :ugeek: :roll: ..."For player age, there is a "sweet spot" of about 23-25 where players will convert the highest percentage of ICs in the Major Leagues. Players younger (and older) than this will convert fewer ICs. Bringing up a younger player into the Major Leagues might jeopardize his potential." The players I was going to have in the majors are under 23, although with ratings that a very good. Will I hurt their development if I have keep them in the big leagues? Should I keep them in the minors and find a journeyman instead?
CrazedCougars

Re: Developing a player in the majors

Post by CrazedCougars »

Depends on the exact age and ratings. Majors development is based of OS age, generally if they are OS 22 it's fine, although any younger than that could be risky. As a rule of thumb, as far as skill goes, leave them down if they're 21 or younger as long as they aren't A- overall or better - at that point they won't develop very well anywhere.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

Thank you for the advice. The outfielder is OS 22 so I'll keep him in the majors like I planned. The pitcher is OS 21 so I'll put him in the minors for another season. Much appreciated.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

And for pitchers, an extra year is recommended. Don't bring them up until OS23 at the earliest for best development. They continue to accrue some improvements beyond OS28, whereas a batter will generally see a large tailing off after that point with most improvements focused on defensive attributes.
BZL: KC Clippers#
GGL: Detroit Diamonds*
CDL: New York Neons
SYL: Texas Lonestars#
SPL: Cincinnati Mavericks*
24TBeta: Boston/Seattle/Montreal/Miami

# Commissioner ~ * HOF Facilitator ~ @ Chaperone
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Good point by ballmark. Pitchers "sweet spot" is a year later than hitters.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

OK, Thank you very much! That helps I'll plan on the pitchers being on the farm even longer.

Return to “Baseball Team, Draft and Trade Help”