2014 HOF

Discussions for the Roberto Clemente League.
DW_Geoff

2014 HOF

Post by DW_Geoff »

So before we hit SP/RP split debates, let's do the year prior.

The obvious choice

Dennis Groom 4th in HRs and hits, 2nd RBIs and runs and 5ft in doubles, 3 WS rings in 11 post seasons. 10 All Star selections

Now the 2 White Sox players both with 7 playoffs and 3 rings

Johnny Brown 2247 hits, a .301 life time average puts him 29th - 7 all stars is also a bonus, 3 gold gloves and a ROY

and

Carlos Wilson 2311 hits, 366 hrs(30) 1463 rbis(20), 5 gold gloves but 5 all stars

I like Browns all time average, and the All Stars. However Wilson was the slugger on a great team thoughts?

Edmund Randolph 5 all stars were interesting but less go was his 3.91 ERA a very good Middle reliever but not HOF
likebutter

Re: 2014 HOF

Post by likebutter »

Groom - no doubt, 1st ballot HOF'er

man - Brown and Wilson are tough. I think from a pure stats perspective - they both come up a little short. The WS wins should carry some weight, but then again it wasn't enough for Bernie Williams to overcome his career stats that came up a little short. The 5 gold gloves feels like a bigger accomplishment in SimDynasty than in real baseball. Torn.

Randolph had a very dominate stretch during Atlanta's run - but his overall career is no where strong enough for the Hall. Perhaps one day Atlanta will have a Edmund Randolph bobble-head day or something in his honor.
TonyGwynnusaGAME

Post by TonyGwynnusaGAME »

I agree with likebutter’s thoughts. Thanks Geoff for always doing this.

I agree with Groom.

Also I’m not usually a proponent of removing folks but should we re-look at an early induction Cam Durger? I know he was on the bubble back then and wonder how he ranks with those in our HOF.

Jerry
TonyGwynnusaGAME

Durger does have 10 AS and a MVP but hmmm…..there are some other folks that are in our HOF that are “cusp” worthy.
TonyGwynnusaGAME

Bob Reynolds, 5-time MVP, 484 HRs, just shy of 3000 hits??
DW_Geoff

Post by DW_Geoff »

Reynolds will likely get in...I will do 2015 on Monday.

So Durger - I added him a while back - has 10 all star selections which is tied for 4th among HOF batters
Only Sluggers Si Johnson and Bill Bilardello have lower averages
Only Billardello and Danny Lindsey have lower OPS
Only Nico Hoerner and Lindsay have lower SLG

Durger got in because of really high hit totals at the time, setting records for all time hits(16), runs(13), singles(10) and games played(13). He was a standout in his position on a very good team.

But most of his numbers don't stack up compared to over HOFers. So being on the cusp was not all that bad

Return to “Roberto Clemente League”