League contraction/expansion

Let us know what you'd like to see!
Admin
Site Admin

League contraction/expansion

Post by Admin »

I am working on the code to dynamically expand and contract leagues. We are not currently in an expansion phase so contraction will be first up. This post is essentially a dump of my plan and thoughts; please feel free to comment if you see a gaping hole in my plan.

Background
The baseball simulation, designed nearly 20 years ago, was hard coded around 16-team leagues. It was imagined that leagues would either go on forever or end when they lost more owners than could be replaced. Although there is code for additional league sizes now, the code still expects the league size to be constant through the history of the league.

The football simulation keeps more detail about individual seasons, so it is possible for a football league to have different sizes throughout its history. Its league alignment can also be restructured season to season without requiring specific cities to appear in specific conferences. Thus, leagues are capable of being contracted or expanded.

League Sizes
There are 9 potential league sizes; however, to date schedules have only been solved for five of them:

Contraction
If (at the time the college draft pool would be populated) a league has teams that have been for sale for over 30 days, and removing some or all of those teams would bring the league size down to a smaller supported league size, the league will be scheduled for contraction. The contracting teams will be removed from the sale list. The best 12-15 players from the contracting teams will go into a dispersal draft pool The draft will have one round for each departing team up to a maximum of 6 rounds. (Since teams always leave in even numbers, this means dispersal drafts will have 2, 4 or 6 rounds.) This draft will use the same order as the college draft and will take place the day before the college draft. (POTENTIAL PROBLEM: In contraction years, I am concerned this could lead to a spectacular race for last place. I am considering randomizing the draft order some.)

Offseason
During the offseason, all players not selected for the draft pool from the departing teams will retire. Players selected for the draft pool will definitely not retire (if they would be forced to retire due to age or health they will not be selected for the pool). More players than normal will retire from the waiver wire to account for the smaller number of teams so the waiver wire isn't flooded.

All of this will be automated so there won't be any need to hold votes to contract. I can make the number of days teams have to be vacant to contract league-selectable and thus effectively give leagues a way to opt out of automatic contraction.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
MakDudeluv

Re: League contraction/expansion

Post by MakDudeluv »

I would like to get a football team but can't find a link. Help!!

Thanks,
Mike
m248842@gmail.com
Admin
Site Admin

Re: League contraction/expansion

Post by Admin »

Ordinarily I'd tell you to go to the My Football Teams link but it was broken. :o

It's fixed now, and it looks like you found it before I could fix it.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.

Return to “Football Suggestions And Enhancements”