Rays Sting Pittsburgh for fourth straight win

21 inning game? 400 yards passing? Unusual system generated name? Share those wild games or interesting players here!
basilrathbonejr

Rays Sting Pittsburgh for fourth straight win

Post by basilrathbonejr »

After finishing off a sweep of first place St Louis, the Florida Stingrays continued their winning ways back home in sunny beautiful Miami, with a close 2-1 victory over visiting Pittsburgh. Starting pitcher Craig Goodfellow, a twenty six year old right hander from Locust Grove, Oklahomawas looking to right his ship after suffering four losses and an especially disappointing one in his last outing when he went eight innings and gave up just one hit, a solo homerun to New York's Tony Henderson that cost him the shutout and the game.

''It seemed like an eternity before my turn came around again and I'm not all that smart but I am smart enough to know that you have to win at some point to remain in the rotation and my time was about up.''

Goodfellow went eight innings again, gave up six hits this time out and one run, walked three, and struck out seven. His luck was better this time because his teammates gave him two runs of support on six hits off Pittsburgh starter Whitey Rodriquez which with relief help from Henry Downing in the ninth inning (save #4) was good enough.

His battery mate, Mark Turner, drove himself in with the first run when he slugged his 6th homerun (in 85 at bats) with no one on in the 3rd inning.

The Stingrays added a second run in the 5th inning when Philip Crowder singled in Ted Unser who doubled in Ted Unser all with two outs in the inning.

The second run became much more important after Pittsburgh broke up the shutout in the 7th. The Ponies had two bunt singles in that inning. The first was by lead off batter Frank Zito. One out later Phil Curd singled him to third bases. Goodfellow struck out Darrell Kimmich and seemed to be on his way out of the inning when he got two strikes on pinch hitter Hoyt Severied. ''I took the second strike because I was bunting for a hit and the pitch wasn't to my liking. When Greisinger backed up it made it a little easier for me.''

Severied's perfect bunt got Zito in to make the score 2-1 but neither team scored after that.

Two walks were the total output for both teams. Ted Wasinger walked to begin the 8th for the visitors but he was left on base.
Bobby Smith reached on a walk in the 8th for Florida, but was wiped out on a 3-6-3 double play off the bat of Unser.

Henry Downing set the Ponies down in order in the 9th for his 4th save.

Florida is now 14-17 (8-2) and six games behind St. Louis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
St. Louis 4 NY 1

The Stars got back in the win column. Bill Mitchell stopped their losing streak at three going eight innings giving up three hits and just one run. Mitchell walked three and fanned eight to go 5-1 for the season.

Whitey Mohler got his 10th save after not pitching in three days with a scoreless 9th inning.

Cecil Miller had three hits in the game and scored a run in the Stars three run 9th inning off George Bucha. Trever Pena scored on a passed ball on catcher Tom Madison. Miller singled in front of Hal Mickens who singled him to third base with a smash off the first baseman's glove. Dick Meyer singled in both Miller and Mickens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal slipped by Brooklyn 4-3

Alex Robinson got Montreal on the scoreboard in the first inning with a two run homerun off starter Allyn Woodard. Whitey Fitzmaurice hit a solo shot in the 7th to make it 3-1.

Brooklyn climbed back to within one run in the bottom half of the seventh when Jeff Wagner and Jake Kahler both hit doubles.

Larry Parker (3rd) hit a bases empty round tripper in the 8th for Montreal to make it 4-2 and Jim Dunlap's drive in the 9th got Brooklyn only one when two were needed.

==============================================================================

San Francisco 7 Milwaukee 2

Second place Milwaukee dropped two behind St Louis after losing to San Francisco 7-2.

Steve Eddy (2-3) got the win and Vic Schultz (3-3) took the defeat. Art Edwards hit a two run homer for San Francisco in the 2nd inning and Marty Connelly and Sandy Zeller hit two two-run homeruns in the 6th.

Return to “Check This Out!”