Looking for a Mentor

Owner to Owner help and advice
lynx.dominance

Looking for a Mentor

Post by lynx.dominance » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:09 am

This is my first season playing Sim Dynasty. I'm just looking for a Mentor to break down some of the finer points of the game. For instance, in my first draft, I got stuck with three starting pitchers that had Health of "F." I obviously didn't look for this before the draft started, like I did other attributes. Would have been nice to have someone fill me on on stuff to look for before I drafted. Anyhow... If you're interested, send me an email: Ldhmnh@gmail.com

Thanks!

reddogs

Re: Looking for a Mentor

Post by reddogs » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:52 am

Any time you have questions I am willing to help.
More than a real decade ago I had one. We have named our league after him, after he passed away. The CDL! ;)

ratman44

Post by ratman44 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:08 am

You can send me a PM also if you want.

Romster

Post by Romster » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Having a mentor sounds like a great idea. Just like there are mentor players in the leagues. I still cannot figure out how player mentorship in the team works. Anyone can fill me in on that? Or a link in the forum where it is discussed? The way it is described in the rules is way too complicated for me to understand.

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Players have a mentor rating on their card. You can also go to the owner menu and see your team's mentor rating. You can also see the rating at the bottom of the rotation and the lineup page. You want at least a C+ overall mentor rating so that you can get the most improvement for your young players.

This is what the game guide says:
In the Major Leagues, your team will get three Mentoring scores after each game: Batters, Starting Pitchers and Relief Pitchers. You can see what your score was for each game by reviewing the Game Notes in the box score of each game. Each player on your team who is 28 years or older raises your team's Mentoring score. An individual player's Mentor Value is calculated using 3 components: Age, Skill, and Leadership. Having high values in each of these will give a player a high Mentor Score.

For position players, a player will increase your team's mentoring score more if he is in your starting lineup versus on the bench. A veteran catcher has an effect on pitchers as well, with his Range being a big component. A player's in-game overall rating is used in the calculation, so if he hits lefties better than righties, he will count for a bit more when you're facing a LHP. And if you're playing a catcher at shortstop, you're not fooling ABE; he will be treated as a shortstop, complete with his out-of-position defensive penalty.

If your team wins the game and the team you beat is ahead of you in the standings, your mentor values for that game will get a slight bump across the board, depending on how many games ahead of you the other team is. This gives you an incentive to try to beat teams that are better than you, especially teams that are really far ahead of you in the standings.

Younger players need mentoring more than older players do. An 18-year-old player will get more out of mentoring than a 26 year old will, although that teenager is likely better served if it is in the minors.

CJefcoat

Post by CJefcoat » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 pm

I think he's looking for a mentor to help him play Simdynasty.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”