Help me out with this, please

Owner to Owner help and advice
Hamilton2

Re: Help me out with this, please

Post by Hamilton2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:52 pm

I think your pitching press could be greatly improved with a couple tweaks. I will try to post details later tonight. Can’t type all that on a phone.

SquidJordan

Post by SquidJordan » Fri May 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Eagerly await. Thanks again, everyone.

Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:59 pm

It's probably going to be Saturday a.m. Sorry, man. Busy with life stuff tonight.

SquidJordan

Post by SquidJordan » Sat May 23, 2020 12:30 am

No problem at all. Thank you.

Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:49 am

SquidJordan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:30 am
No problem at all. Thank you.
Alright. Here we go.

Pitching rotation mis-management is one of the fundamental mistakes that I see a lot of owners make. It will hold your team back and cost you wins. Here are the fundamental rules:

1) The ratings are all that matters.
2) Get your best pitchers the most innings.
3) Try to maximize the "restedness" of your pitchers.
4) The ratings are all that matters. There are no "scenarios" or "high-leverage" situations.

I will expand on those rules and then illustrate with how I would run your roster if I were in charge. Your goal each game is to get 27 outs while minimizing how much the other team scores. It is exactly as difficult to get those outs in the 8th and 9th inning as it is in the 1st and 2nd. There are no adjustments in the sim for situation. Only the pitcher and batter ratings.

If you have a SP who is an A/A superstud and he gets shelled in innings 2, don't pull him out the game. There is no correlation between his past performance (previous batter, previous inning, even previous games) and his future performance. The RATINGS ARE ALL THAT MATTER.

Now, Relief Pitching is a little bit tricky. Because when a pitcher comes in and pitches, his "energy" decreases for the next game (or games), depending on how much he threw. That energy bar represents a reduced rating for the game. A RP with 4 green bars is not as good as his ratings at 5 green bars. No, I do not know "by how much" don't ask me. I know that if you routinely and completely ignore the bullpen's fatigue, your players will underperform their ratings.

So, with those fundamental rules, your goal should be to get your best, fully-rested pitchers, the most innings. It should not matter to you when those innings come in the game.

1) Never pull a pitcher for "performance" reasons if you are replacing him with a worse rated pitching option.
2) Use your best RP's the most, regardless of "inning."

On my teams, that means that I NEVER pull SP's for performance. I leave them in there until "the instant he begins to tire", or is tired and gets Pinch HIt for. It also means that I "use a RP as the last option if he has 3 or fewer energy bars" and that I set my situational priority identical for every time (Closer, Setup/Closer, Setup, Middle A, Long A). I refuse to try to utilize pithcers in "high-leverage" spots because those spots simply don't actually exist. I would rather use my best RP to get 7 outs from the 6th, 7th, and 8th; and my 2nd best RP for the last of the 8th and 9th, than stick a mediocre option in those middle innings and never need my "closer."

Now, for your team:

SP 1 - this should be your best SP, by my estimation, that would be Brizzolara
SP 2 - 2nd best, Cassidy
SP 3 - 3rd best, Peter North
Closer - I would pitch Pickett here (I'll explain why below)
SP 4 - Gorsica
SP 5 - Sabo
Setup/Closer - McCoy
Setup Man - Bale (or Milne)
Middle Relief A - Mile (or Bale)
Long Relief A - Crane

You have to be patient with this game. There is NOTHING to be gained by a hundred tiny tweaks and moving players around from spot to spot based on their most recent performance. The ratings are all that matters.

If you set your rotation as I listed above and you remove SP's immediately when tired and pretty much just leave them in all the rest of the time, you will actually see their average innings per start increase a little bit. Brizzolara is averaging just under 7 IP per start with A- endurance, he will probably be good for 2-3 more outs per game. Gorsica and North are both red letter endurance guys (especially North) should be averaging closer to 8 innings per outing and you have them at 6 1/2 innings per start right now. Cassidy is probably close at 7 1/3 per start.

Pickett is the key here. You have him in your rotation where he has pitched very well and where you have stretched him to over 7 innings per start. Swapping him and Sabo in the rotation will probably mean that you've got 1 starter (in that 5th slot) who is only going 5-6 innings per start. But, your RP's should be coming into games in the 6th or 7th or 8th and finishing the game instead of being pulled after a few batters. Right now, your bullpen has pitched 75 1/3 innings for your team (combined, this is more than any other one pitcher) and they are 1-5 with 3 blown saves! By making the changes that I suggest, you will see the innings from the pen re-distributed and Picket will get about 1/2 to 2/3 of them (between 40 and 50 innings over the rest of the season, he has 46 innings right now), but they will be more effective because you will be eliminating innings from Crane and Mile and Bale that don't matter and giving them to your good SP's and good RP's instead.

The net effect of this strategy is to maximize the batters faced by your best, fully-rested, pitchers. Which will eventually lead to significantly improved run prevention.

kidspeed

Post by kidspeed » Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am

Hamilton. This is great advice. Squid and I are friends and have been back and forth on the best way to maximize performance. I have done very simular things to what you said and have been successful. The only difference is, that I have starters in set to: never pull for stamina reasons. That keeps them in the game for as long as possible. My question is; does a starter become less effective when his energy starts to deplete? I know it does with relievers, but I thought I read that it worked somewhat differently with starters. Again, you and Willy have been a great help to both of us. thanks for all the input.

WillyD

Post by WillyD » Sat May 23, 2020 10:25 am

kidspeed wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am
Hamilton. This is great advice. Squid and I are friends and have been back and forth on the best way to maximize performance. I have done very simular things to what you said and have been successful. The only difference is, that I have starters in set to: never pull for stamina reasons. That keeps them in the game for as long as possible. My question is; does a starter become less effective when his energy starts to deplete? I know it does with relievers, but I thought I read that it worked somewhat differently with starters. Again, you and Willy have been a great help to both of us. thanks for all the input.
Yes, the starter becomes less effective when tired. It gets progressively worse as he keeps pitching tired.

What Hamilton says is mostly true. I would add that you shouldn't be pitching your best relievers in blowouts. There is such a thing as a low leverage situation, and this is when you pitch your lower rated relievers, who are either good mentors, or perhaps younger relievers that need appearances/innings. If they give up more than 1 run, pull them. You may have to bring your better relievers into the game sometimes, but it might be for 1-2 innings, versus 3-4. Also, every pitching staff is different, so there's no one size fits all strategy. If you have dominant starting pitching, and a below average bullpen, you'll need to be a bit more lenient with your starters. Your slightly tired high A/A+ SP is still better than that A+/B reliever. Conversely, if you have average starting pitching, and a strong bullpen, you should pull the starters as soon as they're tired. Don't forget, it's a long season, and you as a manger have a lot of things to think about. Performance of course, but you can't forget about mentoring and development, and you don't want to have relievers pitch 5 gams in a row. The chances of injury go way up if you do this. If you push this, you better have some red letter health guys, or you'll see your star reliever go down right before the playoffs.
Last edited by WillyD on Sat May 23, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:33 am

Yes, in response to what WillyD mentioned, there are "low leverage" spots, particularly in blowouts. I use the "Except when leading or trailing by X runs" "use the most rested pitcher" to navigate that. It results in my Long Relief and Middle Relief guys almost never pitching without a 4+ run difference in the game. They have almost no impact on the outcome of games. That's the job of my SP's and my top 2-3 RP's.

kidspeed

Post by kidspeed » Sat May 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Again. Great advice, and almost exactly what I thought. I have a deep bullpen, so I'd like to follow your advice more closely. If I change my sp setting to pull when he begins to tire, what energy level does he usually get pulled at, 4 bars,3 or 2?
Second question with regards to mop up. I basically have one guy in the bullpen that isn't all that good. I have my setting set, as Hamilton said, to use most rested reliever in those situations. Since my starters pitch a solid 7 or 8 often, many times I'm in a solid situation like being up 4 in the ninth, where all,but one reliever is fully rested. I'd like the sim to use my scrub guy first until he's let several runners on. It appears that it is somewhat random of who the sim chooses to pitch in this situation.is there Any way to designate a mop up guy without getting yourself into trouble, like having him blow the game?

WillyD

Post by WillyD » Sat May 23, 2020 12:46 pm

I don't want a scrub pitching the 9th unless I'm up big. Save him for blowouts. I'd just use one of my good or mid level relievers.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”