Conversion of ICs based on age

Owner to Owner help and advice
acnunnally

Conversion of ICs based on age

Post by acnunnally »

For players older than OS25, is the improvement chance conversion rate higher in the majors than in the minors, or is it likely to be the same either way? Depending on how many CPs you put on a player in question vs. how much PT he would get in the majors, I understand there may be an opportunity to get the player more ICs in the minors, but I'm just wondering about conversion rate.

While I'm on this subject, does anyone know definitively whether ABE applies one algorithm for the portion of a player season when a player is one age before flipping to another applicable algorithm after the player's in-season birthday? For example, would a player who is turns 23 in the middle of a season perhaps be better off from an IC conversion standpoint in the minors while 22, but then be better off from an IC conversion standpoint for the rest of the season in the majors after he turns 23 (and reaches the 23-25 majors IC conversion "sweet spot")? Or are all the algorithms based on OS age and applied uniformly for the entire season?
WillyD

Re: Conversion of ICs based on age

Post by WillyD »

Older players will convert better in the majors.

No, minor league improvements are always based on the current age. Major league improves are always based on the off-season age. So in your example above, the 22 (OS23) player would convert as a 22 year old in the minors up until he turns 23. Any ICs accrued in the majors while playing at age 22 or at 23 would all convert based on age 23.
acnunnally

Post by acnunnally »

Thanks! Very clear and helpful.
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

After they gain a Mentor rating at 28 they convert especially slowing if at all. What the player is at 28 is what he is usually to age 34.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Michael1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:46 pm After they gain a Mentor rating at 28 they convert especially slowing if at all. What the player is at 28 is what he is usually to age 34.
Not true, unless the player is very highly rated. B+ and even some A- overall players will still improve into their early 30's. Pitchers will also improve a bit after 28. They actually improve a bit better into their 30's than do hitters of a similar rating.
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

This has been my experience with even B+ or higher guys. Yours may vary. by slowly I mean 1 or 2 converts in any one letter. Of course if 8 of those happen in anyone a letter grade is achieved. Not everyone has a WillyD conversion rate.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Michael1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:19 pm This has been my experience with even B+ or higher guys. Yours may vary. by slowly I mean 1 or 2 converts in any one letter. Of course if 8 of those happen in anyone a letter grade is achieved. Not everyone has a WillyD conversion rate.
Trust me, you wouldn't want many of my conversion rates lately.

Anyways, your statement that a player is at 28 what he is at 34 is why I responded. That's a broad statement and only the case in some situations.
kidspeed

Post by kidspeed »

I'm still new, but I've seen exactly what willy is saying. I have several pitchers in there late 20s and early 30s that have gained 1-3 improvement points per year. It's not much, but it is something.
I also had a 29 year old major league outfielder gain 1 point on range 1 on contact and 1 on power, which was just enough to turn him from a B+ overall to an A-, which allowed me to get great value for him in a trade.
I also had a high B 28 year old in the minors, who I took a chance on because his fielding was decent, and he had the potential to hit lefties well. I put 12-15 coaching points on him for 2 years.He gained 17 points at 28 years old, 13 at 29. During season 3, at 30 years old, he gained 3 points vs lefties and I was able call to him up in september as my fifth outfielder. He is now valuable at A- contact B+ power vs lefties. The sim has used him several times to pinch hit against lefties and he has performed well. I have qualified for the playoffs again, and he has earned my fifth outfield spot, since my opponent has 3 lefty relievers. He is now a B+ overall.
Obvoiusly he gained more then most at an older age, but 13 points at age 29 in the minors was pretty impressive, so it seems like once you reach age 28, it slows down a lot, but it definetly doesn't stop.
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

Trial,Dynasty or Subscription league, which doesn't change anything, and what league are you in. I want look at this phenom.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

This guy did well in OS28 and OS29. http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id ... rimps=imps
Of course if ABE hadn't screwed him hard in his mid 20's then maybe he wouldn't have had as much room to improve.

What about this hitter? http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id ... rimps=imps
He picked up 5 and 3 points in CvR and PvR, as well as improvement in his other skills which were already very strong.

Or this guy: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id ... rimps=imps
when you only have 2 important skills, getting 4 points is one of those is big deal.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”