Range vs Arm in the infield.

Owner to Owner help and advice
kidspeed

Re: Range vs Arm in the infield.

Post by kidspeed » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:39 pm

Yes. I recognize that the A- bundle is just about average. I was stuck in the draft, picking my shortstop last and my 3rd baseman 4th to last. On top of that, the overall pool for defense wasn't good to begin with after the first 4 or 5 guys. Not only is my shortstop very sub par defensively, but he is also a slightly below average hitter. He has A+ speed, which helps. He has B- range A+ arm which averages to a high B+. In theory, it's only slightly below average, but that lack of range, I think is gonna kill me. My original question was should I try to aquire the really weak hitting old shortstop that is A- range A- arm. Is this gonna be enough to make making a late game defensive replacement worth tying up the roster spot. I'm also not sure that there is enough of a difference for ABE to recognize that this replacement is necessary. (I have it set to make defensive replacements that are somewhat better late in the game)

Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 pm

Defense is so so so so so minor. Get 8 good hitters and put them where they fit on defense.

WillyD

Post by WillyD » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 pm

Like Hamilton said, hitting first. Much better to have a B+/B+ defensive shortstop that's an A rated hitter, than it is to have an A rated defender that's a B+ rated hitter. When I target a good defensive middle infielder type player in the draft or in a trade, they have to be good at something on offense too. Whether that's being a big time power hitter, or a great OBP guy with speed, or maybe a good mix of all 3 offensive skills.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”