Starting pitcher losing endurence

Owner to Owner help and advice
kidspeed

Starting pitcher losing endurence

Post by kidspeed »

I recently had a reliever go down to injury. I brought a starter up from the minors, but I plan on putting him in the bullpen for mop up duty. He likely will only get a few appearances by the team my regular is off the DL. My question is,will he still be penalized with the endurance penalty during the off season even if he only makes 1 appearance in relief? What about 2 appearances etc?
WillyD

Re: Starting pitcher losing endurence

Post by WillyD »

Here's the formula that will tell you how much the endurance goes down when you don't get over the 25% starts number.

The formula is: (1-(starts/appearances)) x 10.
The max is 10 points.
kidspeed

Post by kidspeed »

OK. So 1-(0 starts/1 appearance)=1 then multiply by 10 and he loses 10 endurance points for appearing one time without a start. Seems very unrealistic. Thanks for the info.
matthewlee3

Post by matthewlee3 »

I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure there's a minimum innings pitched threshold, I want to say 25? I can't remember exactly
matthewlee3

Post by matthewlee3 »

From the FAQ, key part in bold:

What will happen to the endurance of my starter used in relief?
A starting pitcher who starts 25% or less of his games for the season, and pitches more than 25 innings, will lose endurance points equal to [10 * (1 - ( games started / games pitched) )]. A starting pitcher appearing only in the bullpen will therefore lose 10 points -- just over one letter grade in endurance. The pitcher may also earn endurance improvement chances during the year, which may partially offset the penalty.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

kidspeed wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:41 pm OK. So 1-(0 starts/1 appearance)=1 then multiply by 10 and he loses 10 endurance points for appearing one time without a start. Seems very unrealistic. Thanks for the info.
I forgot to add the 25 innings part. See matthelee's post.
kidspeed

Post by kidspeed »

Great Job Matthew. This makes more sense

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”