Pythagorean record and manager settings

Owner to Owner help and advice
sehughesny

Pythagorean record and manager settings

Post by sehughesny »

So, I have been in a trial league now for 5.5 half-seasons, and EVERY year I’ve had a worse record than my Pyth prediction (and with one exception it’s been a significant variation - like 6 wins over 81 games). Thanks know in the game the Pyth can be a little off given teams going through rebuilding periods, but this seems to have approached the point of statistical significance. Could it be my manager settings (which, frankly I set at the beginning and haven’t really checked), or do they not have that much impact? Or am I just incredibly unlucky?
Hamilton2

Re: Pythagorean record and manager settings

Post by Hamilton2 »

Generally speaking, if you are under performing your Pyth record, you are probably losing a lot of close games and winning a decent number of blowouts. This is usually attributable to some bullpen settings.

If we had advanced stats you would look at things like your record in 1-run games, for example.

Remember that each consecutive game that your RP's appear in they get a fatigue penalty, because they are coming into the game with fewer than 5 energy bars. So, a pitcher who goes two innings every other game will be more effective than the same pitcher going 1 inning every single game.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

It could be that you're losing some close games, and/or also scoring a lot of runs vs the bad teams. That's why the Pyth% doesn't really mean much.
sehughesny

Post by sehughesny »

Thanks, guys. I'm definitely losing an inordinate number of close games, which is why I was wondering about the settings. And I do believe the blowout games are also skewing it - someone noted this is another thread on here. Will play with the reliver settings and see if that helps. Thanks!

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”