When is a minor leaguer ready?

Owner to Owner help and advice
yankeejim2323

When is a minor leaguer ready?

Post by yankeejim2323 »

So I have been playing this game for a long time but still I am learning how to play this game. I am currently in a rebuild. I have a lot of youth in the minors and I am not sure at what point top prospects are wasting Improvements points that some younger prospects can use. Currently I have 2 SPs, both 21 years old, both are B+ rated, one of them is a B/A-/B+ and the other is B/B+/A-. After 20 games this current season, neither has converted an Improvement chance. Is it time to promote them or keep them in the Farm one more year? BTW, we will probably be a bottom 5 team again this season.
phen0m

Re: When is a minor leaguer ready?

Post by phen0m »

Leave them in the minors, they wont convert a ton at that age and skill level but they'll still convert better in the minors than the majors. If its a CP league and you need the CPs for someone else you can call them up at 23os.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

You could also have them split time in the majors at OS22 if necessary. I wouldn't do it at age 21, but at 22 they won't do much worse in the majors vs. the minors. Try and get one of them 25 major league ICs by mid-season, and then send him down and promote the other one. That will open up a CP spot in the minors for an entire year, and not compromise their development much.
yankeejim2323

Post by yankeejim2323 »

@WillyD that is an interesting take. I never thought about doing it that way.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

For pitchers, the first 25 ICs always go to velocity and control. After that it's somewhat random, with about a third of the IC's after 25 going to endurance (on average).
Kingturtle

Post by Kingturtle »

Also, minor league players don't/can't get injured. If you play them in the Majors, they can get injured, and even if you put them back in the minors after they get hurt, ABE will not give them improvement points if they are injured.
yankeejim2323

Post by yankeejim2323 »

So went ahead and promoted 1 of them under the thought of splitting the season with the other pitcher.
In his 1st start
No Decision. 8IP 6K 2BB 3Hits 1ER.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Can you post a link to the pitchers in question? Or your depth chart?
Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

yankeejim2323 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:43 pm I have a lot of youth in the minors and I am not sure at what point top prospects are wasting Improvements points that some younger prospects can use. Currently I have 2 SPs, both 21 years old, both are B+ rated, one of them is a B/A-/B+ and the other is B/B+/A-.
A lot goes into this. WillyD is spot on, getting a pitching prospect 25 ICs in the majors is perfect if you lack CPs. Otherwise, it really depends.
  • Generally, from OS23 there is not much difference in the conversion of chances. But pitchers get only 50 ICs in the majors, with 10-12 of them going to endurance. So if you have the CPs, leave pitchers down a bit longer. Or even better, give them a half season in the minors.
  • OS22 batters convert nearly as good in the majors, OS21 is about 65% IIRC. So if you lack CPs, an OS21 batter will develop better he has a full season in the majors than if he gets 3 CPs in the minors. OS22 batters can always be promoted "safely".
  • A very good player might not convert a ton of chances anyway. If you have an OS22 A(-) player in the minors, promote him and give those 65 ICs to other players.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”