Defensive Range

Owner to Owner help and advice
Wichita55

Defensive Range

Post by Wichita55 »

Guys:

Does the Range Grade actually mean the player's defensive grade mean anything? Being new here, I've read everything I possibly could so far. I guess range wasn't an important factor early on? Some change was to be made regarding it? But I couldn't find that it was, or when. Does range and outfield arm's mean anything in valuing players? Thanks in advance.

Mike
phen0m

Re: Defensive Range

Post by phen0m »

Range and arm definitely matters. There will be disagreements between owners on how much exactly defense matters though. Imo id say it matters a good bit for 2B/SS/3B and Catcher(Arm), but not really enough to draft someone solely on defense. For outfield imo defense doesn't really matter much at all, just stick your stud hitters with poor defense there. If they have a solid arm and/or serviceable range thats a nice bonus but dont worry about it too much, hitting is most important. For 1B you usually want a high range/low arm guy, whose arm isnt quite good enough to play middle infield.

Basically just draft the best hitters and put whichever ones end up with the best defense at 2B/SS/3B is usually my motto. The majority of 18 year old prospects will end up decent enough to play important defensive positions as long as they dont start at like F's or D-'s, and sometimes even those guys can end up pretty solid. This guy started at 4 range(lowest D- possible) and 19 arm and is currently my 2B which i consider the most important defensive position.
Wichita55

Post by Wichita55 »

Thanks for the reply Phenom. I appreciate the info. Wow, way different response than I expected. Good, I didn't give much points to defense and arms on my position guys in my up-coming draft. I didn't know how the game engine handled and considers how important/not important defense is. Thank you.

Mike
phen0m

Post by phen0m »

Heres howd i rank them in order of importance

1. Catcher's arm (would say catcher is most important just because its important to have a maxed out arm or close to it. The difference between a 100 arm and like an 85 arm is huge)

2. 2B. They get the most total chances. You want your best range guy here who also has at least a decent arm.

3. SS. You want your best range guy here who also has a good arm.

4. 3B. You want your best arm guy here who also has pretty decent range. Or just whoever your best overall fielder is left after filling 2B and SS as long as they have a decent arm.

5. 1B. You want your best range guy here whos arm is bad, or is just worse than your 2B.

6. CF. Whoevers the best fielder left, if they have a good arm its a nice bonus

7. LF/RF. Whoevers left, if they have a good arm its a nice bonus
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

phen0m wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 pm For outfield imo defense doesn't really matter much at all
I think it does, as it changes a lot of "X uses his aggressiveness and scores" into "player is out at home by the outfielder" stuff. I remember struggling against teams where I have a guy in 2nd and on singles I can't score runs because the outfielder's defense is strong [Edit - Or I have a guy on 1st and on a double to the outfield my runner is out at home]. Of course, one doesn't care if they have weak defense if they hit home runs when they come to bat, so batting is the most important factor.
SquidJordan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:09 am all you can do is all you can do.
Vytron wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:01 pm Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about
phen0m

Post by phen0m »

Vytron wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:03 pm
phen0m wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 pm For outfield imo defense doesn't really matter much at all
I think it does, as it changes a lot of "X uses his aggressiveness and scores" into "player is out at home by the outfielder" stuff. I remember struggling against teams where I have a guy in 2nd and on singles I can't score runs because the outfielder's defense is strong. Of course, one doesn't care if they have weak defense if they hit home runs when they come to bat, so batting is the most important factor.
Yea by 'doesn't matter much at all' im saying it doesn't matter enough to either put any stock into prospects with good defense for the purpose of playing outfield, or go out of your way to put guys with cannon arms in the outfield when you have better hitters available. So for all intents and purposes it doesn't really matter much imo. A good arm is just a nice little bonus. A lot of getting thrown out has to do with your hitter speed as well, its not all just the outfielders arm. Great speed guys dont get thrown out too much.
Wichita55

Post by Wichita55 »

Radically different from the site I played at for 13 years. Won't name a competitor site, but defense very much ruled the day there. In 13 years I'd won 14 WS basing my methodology on great OF defensive range and arms. Andruw Jones and Jesse Barfield were mainstays in CF and RF. Thanks for all the info guys. I know I'm a newbie, and will have to learn the hard way and take my knocks.

Mike
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

Welp, I hold that what I said was right... for Arm, this thread is talking about defensive Range, whoops!

So, Arm will win you close games, specially in situations where "runner is out when trying to advance by the outfielder" stretches. At least, A+ Arm makes a clear difference and you just know when you'd be down by 2 runs if it wasn't for your awesome Center Fielder.

The moment it matters is when, say, you have an outfielder with B Contact A Power, and another with A+ Contact B Power, (and both could have good synergy with the rest), but the former has C- Arm, and the latter A+ arm. The former will hit more homeruns and such, but will allow pretty much all stretches and will not have as much "Double Play - great play by the outfielder to prevent a double" moments. I hold you'd rather go with the guy with A+ Arm, even though I ignore Arm when drafting, heh...

You would only look at range all else being equal, but by this point Age could be more important :D

EDIT - I forgot, the better your pitchers the least relevant defense is, and the worst your pitchers, the more important it is. Your pitcher can suck and be saved by good defense, which will not matter if you can't score runs, so defense is still secondary, but still.
SquidJordan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:09 am all you can do is all you can do.
Vytron wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:01 pm Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about
danno38852

Post by danno38852 »

Welcome to Sims. It`s not perfect but a very good game. I almost quit several times because to be competitive via drafts, trades and overall knowledge, the learning curve is very steep. I would say visit this part and the rules part of the site often. Good luck and invite friends. Having other people to share views always helps keep interest in the game.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

invite friends!

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”