Owner to Owner help and advice
nuzzy62

Join a league starting in 1950!

Post by nuzzy62 »

Starting from 1950
New players
New history
Fast-Paced (36gpd)

If you're not familiar with what a wheel draft is and why it's the greatest thing to come to Sim Dynasty, it can be briefly explained as a calculated method to achieve the most competitive league possible!

This is done by utilizing pre-determined amateur draft slotting. For instance, if you wind up drafting 1st, then the following season you will draft 16th, then 8th, then 9th, then 4th, then 13th...etc until the cycle repeats.

------------------------------------------------------------

To learn more about specific rules:

check out the Cap Anson League Forum viewforum.php?f=76

To purchase a team:

We will be adding teams to the "For Sale" list soon. To reserve your team in the new 36gpd wheel draft league, send a PM to Buzzz, Me, or VladimirTrump or wait until a team becomes available when you click here.
Last edited by nuzzy62 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
phen0m

Re: 36 GPD interest

Post by phen0m »

id join if it used the wheel draft

got pretty bored of the tank/rebuild cycles of normal leagues so the FRL(which uses the wheel) is the only league i play in now

id definitely be interested in a 36GPD wheel league though
VladimirTrump

Post by VladimirTrump »

phen0m wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:57 am id join if it used the wheel draft

got pretty bored of the tank/rebuild cycles of normal leagues so the FRL(which uses the wheel) is the only league i play in now

id definitely be interested in a 36GPD wheel league though
Yeah, the wheel draft is becoming more appealing. Do you think that it bridges the skill gap? For instance, a weaker owner is more capable of competing because they're not trading away future (quality) draft picks for bums?

Also, how is trading overall? Do you still see a lot of trades involving picks and what not?
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

It could help bridge the skill gap a bit. Mostly it tightens up the standings from top to bottom as there usually aren't any really bad teams, and certainly not 2-4 bad teams like some divisions have. This could make it a bit harder to catch up in the standings if you have a really bad start. Maybe you'll see underdog 3rd or 4th place team have a slightly better shot at getting in. That rarely happens now, as you can pick the real playoff contenders in April with 95%+ certainty.

In terms of trading away draft picks for bums, that could still happen in any system. One nice thing about the wheel is that you don't need to sell off good vets for cheap. If you have really good player in his 30's and you know you're not competing for a few seasons, you can keep him until you get a legit offer. There's no pressure to sell off good players so you don't win too many games and hurt your draft position, as the draft position is fixed.

Trade activity is possibly less than some of the really active leagues that have a bunch owners doing the bust/boom sell off everyone and rebuild cycles. There can be some flurry of activity at the trade deadline. Early season trading might slow down as a league matures as many teams might feel they have a shot at competing early in the year. Once reality sets in, the market for vets opens up and teams realize they should be selling or buying.

In the FRL we have our draft class come out in early August, so picks for the upcoming season can be a hot commodity before the traded deadline if the draft is good.
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

We are going to use the wheel draft and give it a try.

I'm just waiting on Admin to make me Commish so I can start putting up the rest of the dead teams online. We already have six new owners so that gives us eight, if the two previous owners decide to stay. We're going to ask for a hard restart, if that isn't an option, then we'll ask for an expansion draft with all the current players.

There's one team left on the signup board, the Toronto Blue Jays in the Cap Anson League.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

nuzzy62 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:57 am We are going to use the wheel draft and give it a try.

I'm just waiting on Admin to make me Commish so I can start putting up the rest of the dead teams online. We already have six new owners so that gives us eight, if the two previous owners decide to stay. We're going to ask for a hard restart, if that isn't an option, then we'll ask for an expansion draft with all the current players.

There's one team left on the signup board, the Toronto Blue Jays in the Cap Anson League.
The commish is going to be very busy setting the draft class on off-season day, as you have a season a week. Plus you'll need to publish the draft order for future seasons or you'll be getting constant messages from owners about where they're picking.
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

Well, we aren't close to making the change yet so we'll have another season to run through before the switch unless things snowball today.
danno38852

Post by danno38852 »

I`ve been in Sims a good while now. I`ve always had standard drafts. Explain the Wheel Draft. Thanks in advance.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

danno38852 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 am I`ve been in Sims a good while now. I`ve always had standard drafts. Explain the Wheel Draft. Thanks in advance.
The draft order is predetermined and set without regard for win loss record. In a 16 team league every team will draft one time in the top 4 picks every 4 years. This eliminates the correlation between losing and drafting high, which should increase overall competition for playoff spots.

Example team draft slots (I'm making this up, it is illustrative only):

Then back to the top of the draft.
nuzzy62

Re: Join a new wheel draft league

Post by nuzzy62 »

Hi, progress is being made to convert the Cap Anson league to 36GPD.

We will have openings for seven more teams.

Rule Settings:
36-GPD
Game Run- 34 minutes after the hour (same day-run schedule as GPL)
Minor League System 3
Injury System 3
Development Curve System 1
Retirement System 1
Batter Improvement System 3
Player Mentoring System 1
Team Mentoring System 1
Winning Percentage Modifier Off
Attribute Display Letters
Hidden Major League Improvements No
Hidden Minor League Improvements No
Catcher Rule Percentage 50%
Required Major League Catchers 2
Amateur Draftee Populate Date 11PMest after league reaches 08-01 (may change to 07-01)
Postseason Eligibility Date Before 09-01
Years Out Draft Picks can be Traded 5
Number of Days to clear the Waiver Wire 24 (since its such a fast-paced league we need to give extra days)
Pause Days after OffSeason 0
Seasons between fence adjustments 1
Seasons between stadium constructions 5
Fence distance+height down baselines 305 - 380 ft.
Fence distance+height to center 400 - 480 ft.
Sum of all fence distances+heights 1750 - 2000 ft.
Artificial turf allowed Yes

Additional Rules
AntiTanking Rule(s): Wheel Draft

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”