Mentoring

Owner to Owner help and advice
Astrozee

Mentoring

Post by Astrozee »

New to sim. My mentoring for my MLB pitching staff is a D+. How is this going to effect my guys? And if it's a huge negative, how can I combat it? The best mentor grade for a SP on the wire is C-.
wsoul1

Re: Mentoring

Post by wsoul1 »

What mentoring system is your league using? (owner/league info/league rules)
A link to your depth chart could be helpful as well.
It could be an issue if you have developing pitchers in your lineup.
Astrozee

Post by Astrozee »

Not sure how to find that out, sorry. But here's my depth chart: http://www.simdynasty.com/depth.jsp?teamid=138464
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

Mentoring impacts how many improvement chances your players earn. It does not impact performance. It does not impact conversion percentage. The difference between d+ and b- on a pitching staff is probably 8-12 chances per year. At 20% to 33% you are looking at missing between 2 and 4 conversions per year per player.
Astrozee

Post by Astrozee »

So to improve those chances, I should look to find a SP with a high mentoring attribute?
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

As a general rule of thumb, you should try to have a red letter Mentor:

1 in rotation
1 in bullpen
2-3 in starting lineup
1-2 on bench

A catcher that is a good Mentor will add to both your lineup *and* your pitching staff Mentor score.
BZL: KC Clippers#
GGL: Detroit Diamonds*
CDL: New York Neons
SYL: Texas Lonestars#
SPL: Cincinnati Mavericks*
24TBeta: Boston/Seattle/Montreal/Miami

# Commissioner ~ * HOF Facilitator ~ @ Chaperone
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Ballmark gives a good outline of how many mentors you should have at a minimum. Pickup a decent mentor for your bullpen, and drop Gamboa to the minors. He's too young to be riding the pine in the majors.

Your goal should be to have at least a C+ mentoring grade. If you can't quite get there for one season, and wind up with a C, it won't kill you, but don't let it continue into a 2nd season and beyond.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

I asked about catcher mentoring previously and I thought the answer was that a catchers mentor value applied to his fellow hitters only and a catchers range and arm were better indicators to his help with a young pitcher.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

I went back to the guide and it says this..."A veteran catcher has an effect on pitchers as well, with his Range being a big component." It doesn't answer specifically if mentor value of a catcher impacts the SP or RP mentor score.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Slvanlae wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 pm I went back to the guide and it says this..."A veteran catcher has an effect on pitchers as well, with his Range being a big component." It doesn't answer specifically if mentor value of a catcher impacts the SP or RP mentor score.
Mentor value is very important too, although low range catchers don't help that much, even if they have a good mentoring score. Go for a good mentoring catcher with at least a C range and you should be good.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”