new owner - what do I do next

Owner to Owner help and advice
wcl

Re: new owner - what do I do next

Post by wcl »

I was in a hurry and had to run. I am currently only in one dynasty league, the Kirby Puckett League. I have the St. Louis ball club. Things are a bit busy right now winding down a very weird school year...so only one team...usually I like to run two. Best of luck.
Billy
geoffff

Post by geoffff »

Thanks Billy,
I hope your day at school was good and peaceful. I'm married to a history teacher.

This probably doesn't make much difference in a trial league of 3 short seasons but when I move up it will be - mentoring is shown as B- and B for batting and B- and C for pitching. I guess that mentoring brings on younger players so how can I improve them I would like them all to be a minimum of B as soon as I can.

I am trying to move steadily and not ask a zillion questions at one go. However, I have a pitcher in the Minors (Elmer Ventura - part time ace pet detective) who is a B and is 20 years old - high velocity, poor control and end [what is end]. Would he benefit from another year in the minors or bring him up for 'big game' experience?

Thanks

Geoff
wcl

Post by wcl »

Elmer would be a tremendous prospect in the Dynasty Leagues because you can keep your team for many seasons. In a trial league of three seasons, that control mark of "C" is a concern. It might rise to a B- (tops) with only two years remaining, but that is probably about it. Still I would leave him in the minor league, raising his CP to 15, hoping he would improve enough to move him to the major league for the final season. One just doesn't know for certain what development might occur. Minor league development can nevertheless still provide real fine ball players if they are young and start off with pretty good marks. I will on occasion draft a player that is real young and has very promising marks...especially pitchers and catchers. I would avoid drafting Elmer because of the "C" control mark...a B- would be much more encouraging. (Age factor: 18 thru 21.)
It's funny: I joined a Dynasty League some years ago, and when introducing myself to the other owners found that quite a few of them lived in Missouri, and quite a few were history teachers. Somewhat strange...but interesting. Real good guys.
Billy
geoffff

Post by geoffff »

Thanks for all that. I guess with schools closed for a lot of time it has been a very different life. My son is a deputy head and has spent a lot of time setting up testing centres (UK spelling) at the school. No exams and all qualifications based on teacher assessments has been a nightmare for him.

However, life goes on although very differently from before.

No baseball questions today but it's nice to make contact with someone somewhere else!

If you ever want to play a soccer game, just let me know. In my game, USA has 10,920 teams and over a million play worldwide.

All the best

Geoff
wcl

Post by wcl »

Geoff,
I thought there must be one too many "f"s in your Sim name. Now I know. My high school has been open all year long. We do live in a very small town, and I think that is the primary reason. We were in a hybrid schedule for the first semester, and everyone has been back for the second. School is out June 1st, and I believe we are going to make it. It has most certainly been a very unusual school year though.
My St. Louis ball club is having a fine season, but we trail a distant third behind two ball clubs who are playing unbelievably well. They may be too far ahead to catch, but I hate to think that. Time will tell, and a half of a season remains (162 in Dynasty Leagues.)
I guess that's it, my friend. Time for school. Have a fine day.
Billy
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

If you set the backups the game will replace hitters with one bar with a substitute. Health matters in how many games a player will play. A+ will play 156-162 depending on the health number behind it. In Trial and Dynasty leagues the numbers are hidden. Some Subscription leagues show the Numbers. A player at D+ health will max 135 games. Starting catchers with high health will catch 144 games Max. You need a good backup catcher. The letter grades are like school Marks in USA, A is best and so on.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

Honestly, your best bet is to read the game guide:

http://simdynasty.com/rules/Sim_Dynasty_Game_Guide.jsp

You seem to be pretty smart at noticing things and thinking them through. That Guide is thoroughly comprehensive on all things simdynasty. If you have any other questions let us know!

Oh, and "END" is a pitcher's Endurance. Endurance determines the number of batters a pitcher can face before he starts to get tired/fatigue. As long as the pitcher has not reached that endurance determined number of batters, he will continue to pitch according to his ratings. After he reaches his number of batters, he starts getting slightly worse with each additional batter he faces.

The Game Guide explains each player rating, what they mean, and what they do.
geoffff

Post by geoffff »

Thanks Hamilton,

I do some mentoring on a soccer game (Hattrick) which I enjoy, so try to look behind the 'front' page.

My view is that 3 short seasons in a trial league is not long enough to develop players, so I will experiment here and not worry about my league standing and prepare to go into a Dynasty League in a couple of months. There I will, hopefully, be able to build the squad of players I want.

Geoff
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

trial leagues if you look at the box score give 6 improvement chances per game, so you get the 3 full seasons improves bit young guys 16-19 won"t be ready. Draft older guys to compete in reial leagues younger ones in all others.
geoffff

Post by geoffff »

OK guys, so coach points and ICs.
Michael raised this and I looked at coach points. I have allocated my full 120 from 15 to 1.
I looked in box scores and saw some improvements but no idea how this applies itself to raising levels.
At what point does a B- become a B. How many ICs does it take to move up a level in any aspect: endurance, velocity, control, contact v LHP etc etc.
It depends I guess on age to some degree. Do players have limits and does it take long to go from B+ to A- than it does to go from C- to C
I have started a spreadsheet to monitor progress - is this overkill?
Happy weekend to you all. Sun shining here in Leigh-on-Sea - 50 miles from London

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”