Manager Preferences Misapplied

Owner to Owner help and advice
GoYanksGo

Manager Preferences Misapplied

Post by GoYanksGo »

In this game (http://simdynasty.com/boxscore.jsp?boxs ... &cityid=13), my starting pitcher got pulled after four innings with this line:

Pitcher ip h r er bb so wp
Brad Slagle 4.0 3 4 4 2 2 0

These are my manager preferences for pitching:

Use a SP out of the pen if necessary when the pitcher is ineffective
If a SP has a no hitter going,
Never replace him

Bring in a new pitcher when: *

SP
has given up

Earned Runs
or

ER+Hits+Walks+HBP
through
IP

Slagle had given up a total of 9 ER+Hits+Walks+HBP and had not given up 5 earned runs through 4 IP, yet he came out anyway. I have my preferences set to take out a starting pitcher due to stamina if he'd get tired after facing 2 more batters, but Slagle is a B in endurance and isn't even down to one bar after this start, so I don't think that came into play. For what reason was he removed? The early hook ultimately led to having to use my worst reliever in a tie game in the 9th inning, where he promptly gave up two runs. The pitcher spot led off for me in the 5th, so had Slagle stayed in as he should've per my settings, I wouldn't have had to pinch hit for a reliever until the 7th or 8th and wouldn't have had to use my worst reliever.

This mistake directly led to a loss so it finally get me to post about it, but so far I've never had a pitcher stay in for the 5th inning if they've given up 4 ER already, and that's just not what my settings say so I'm a little confused as to why that would be. Has anyone else seen this?
Frunobulax

Re: Manager Preferences Misapplied

Post by Frunobulax »

I'd guess the rule "through 5 innings" would have applied as he wasn't pulled in the 4th, what's that? Maybe one of the other settings use SP instead of RP?
GoYanksGo

Post by GoYanksGo »

I can't figure it out. But my starters keep coming out after the 4th inning if they've given up 4 runs 100% of the time. If it was some other setting I'd think it wouldn't happen every time. I just tried changing my "certain circumstances" settings but I doubt that's it because the starters shouldn't tire after 4 innings (and i set being tired to mean tired after facing the next two matters). Maybe that'll fix it but I don't think it will.

I don't know how big of a difference this has made, though it's definitely led to some suboptimal bullpen usage and relief pitchers not being pinch-hit for in spots I wish they would be. But even if it hasn't had a big impact on wins and losses it's just frustrating to explicitly have my settings say one thing (bring in a new pitcher after 4 innings if the starter has given up at least 5) and have the results be another (bringing in a new pitcher after 4 innings if the starter has given up 4).
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

change it to 5 innings and see what happens.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”