Converting position players to catcher

Owner to Owner help and advice
Mateogrande

Converting position players to catcher

Post by Mateogrande »

What's the easiest way to convert a position player to a catcher? Have you ever successfully done it in the minors?

My backup catcher just got hurt and it started my backup 1B. It defaults to 1B correct? It didn't default to who I made my primary 1B backup, it went to an actual backup 1B.

And does the pitching penalty for an out of position player at catcher only affect stats or can it affect actual improvment chances?
Hamilton2

Re: Converting position players to catcher

Post by Hamilton2 »

It takes a long, long time. You basically have to start them at OS 18 in the minors and hope that they get to 50% by OS 23 and then promote them and start them at catcher until they get converted. If you can't start the guy at catcher due to league minimum % eligibility requirements, you are basically out of luck. ABE will auto-select in order down the depth chart and pick the next fully rested hitter to start at catcher. So ... your 1B is next in line, then 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, and RF in that order. Your "backup" assignments have no relevance whatsoever in the selection of an out-of-position starter at catcher.

I don't even understand the second question:
And does the pitching penalty for an out of position player at catcher only affect stats or can it affect actual improvment chances?
Mateogrande

Post by Mateogrande »

Sorry, that wasn't clear.

There is a penalty to your pitchers when you are using an out of position player at catcher. For example, when my backup 1B played catcher, the pitchers were worse than normal because of the poor catching abilities. I'm curious if the poor outing for the pitcher is reflected in their improvement chances or if it just makes them suffer statistically? In short, does the pitching performance affect their improvement chances for that game at all?
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

The catcher has no relevance on pitcher performance. The sim does not incorporate pitch framing or pitch sequencing at all. You may see more passed balls and some bases stolen but if your pitcher is bad that's not your catchers fault!
Mateogrande

Post by Mateogrande »

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.
phen0m

Post by phen0m »

catchers only impact on pitchers is a slight boost in pitcher mentoring for that game if your catcher is 28+ and has good range and/or leadership rating.
CT_Eagle

Post by CT_Eagle »

I have only done this once so treat my experience as a small sample size.

It took Solly Jones http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?player ... d=12485289 639 chances to get to 100%. I started converting him when he was 18 and he is fully converted now at 22. It took almost 4 full seasons in the minors to covert him.

Unfortunately for me, his arm did not improve as much as I had hoped. He will still make A- or A but I was hoping for A+.
tworoosters

Post by tworoosters »

CT_Eagle wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:48 pm I have only done this once so treat my experience as a small sample size.

It took Solly Jones http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?player ... d=12485289 639 chances to get to 100%. I started converting him when he was 18 and he is fully converted now at 22. It took almost 4 full seasons in the minors to covert him.

Unfortunately for me, his arm did not improve as much as I had hoped. He will still make A- or A but I was hoping for A+.
That's actually a very good conversion rate, I have converted a number of players over the years and you can usually count on 4-6 seasons to get to 60-70% so converting to 100% in four seasons is very fortunate. Depending on where he is in that B+ I would project him to make A in arm
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

CT_Eagle wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:48 pm It took Solly Jones http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?player ... d=12485289 639 chances to get to 100%. I started converting him when he was 18 and he is fully converted now at 22. It took almost 4 full seasons in the minors to covert him.

The range played in on both issues. It helped him develop into a catcher a bit quicker, and it hurt his arm conversion rate.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”