Good Team Bad, Bad Team Good?

Owner to Owner help and advice
AuraStar

Good Team Bad, Bad Team Good?

Post by AuraStar »

How is it that I can arguably the best team I've ever had with "A" caliber players at virtually every place on the depth chart (SP, RP, position players), but my team is a cellar dweller... Meanwhile, the team leading the pack and way ahead of everyone else in wins is not nearly as skilled--a few "A" players, mostly "B+" and "B" players?
Vytron

Re: Good Team Bad, Bad Team Good?

Post by Vytron »

Do you mean the "Total" stat? Because it's garbage, it counts all the points of the skills of the player, no matter how useless they are. Power is at least twice as important as Contact, Control is at least twice as important as Velocity. How important Speed is really depends on the rest of the team, it requires synergy and can really be wasted on a team that doesn't need it, or be the factor that determines the whole's team performance.

But defense is almost 1% of it, and it'll be counted towards the Total Rating at the same weight as the others. You can trade a B player for an A player and it turns out the B is great for the team and the A one could barely work for anyone. Sometimes it's frustrating that the stats are so high that the option to send a player without options to the minors isn't even available, but it's one where the team is better without her than with her, and there's no way to get rid of them, specially when a game is ruined because it's the most rested pitcher!

The secret of the sim is to figure out your own way to value players, which highly depends on the league's average and the rest of your team, to draft them higher, and to use them instead of better rated players that will never give the performance you expect. And to trade for the better ones despite the stats telling you the contrary.

Because those teams that are winning world series with low rated players were built by people that know what they were doing, that know when a player just was unlucky but will perform better, or that send a great performing player down the wire because they know they're smoke and mirrors. Which isn't easy at all, this all is about trial and error, I even wonder if this is like real life, they know something we don't and the fun is about finding out just what is it.
SquidJordan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:09 am all you can do is all you can do.
Vytron wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:01 pm Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

AuraStar wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:41 pm How is it that I can arguably the best team I've ever had with "A" caliber players at virtually every place on the depth chart (SP, RP, position players), but my team is a cellar dweller... Meanwhile, the team leading the pack and way ahead of everyone else in wins is not nearly as skilled--a few "A" players, mostly "B+" and "B" players?
A or A- players? Big difference in some cases. There are many A- players that shouldn't be starters for a team competing for a playoff post. And then there are B+ overall hitters that are legit big league starters.

What you want in a A- overall hitter, is a player that is A rated (not A-) overall on his hitting, particularly vs RHP.
GM33

Post by GM33 »

Vytron wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:00 pm Do you mean the "Total" stat? Because it's garbage, it counts all the points of the skills of the player, no matter how useless they are. Power is at least twice as important as Contact, Control is at least twice as important as Velocity. How important Speed is really depends on the rest of the team, it requires synergy and can really be wasted on a team that doesn't need it, or be the factor that determines the whole's team performance.

But defense is almost 1% of it, and it'll be counted towards the Total Rating at the same weight as the others. You can trade a B player for an A player and it turns out the B is great for the team and the A one could barely work for anyone. Sometimes it's frustrating that the stats are so high that the option to send a player without options to the minors isn't even available, but it's one where the team is better without her than with her, and there's no way to get rid of them, specially when a game is ruined because it's the most rested pitcher!

The secret of the sim is to figure out your own way to value players, which highly depends on the league's average and the rest of your team, to draft them higher, and to use them instead of better rated players that will never give the performance you expect. And to trade for the better ones despite the stats telling you the contrary.

Because those teams that are winning world series with low rated players were built by people that know what they were doing, that know when a player just was unlucky but will perform better, or that send a great performing player down the wire because they know they're smoke and mirrors. Which isn't easy at all, this all is about trial and error, I even wonder if this is like real life, they know something we don't and the fun is about finding out just what is it.

FYI, regarding...
"But defense is almost 1% of it, and it'll be counted towards the Total Rating at the same weight as the others."

According to the Game Guide, there are in fact different weightings for Overall Rating, and defense is a much smaller piece of the pie...

http://simdynasty.com/rules/Sim_Dynasty_Game_Guide.jsp
Overall Rating
A player's overall rating is a quick way to get a general sense of how good a player is, but should not be relied on too heavily to evaluate players. For batters, overall rating is 32% Contact, 32% Power, 16% Speed, 10% Arm, and 10% Range. For Pitchers, overall rating is 50% Control and 50% Velocity.
MDorf

Post by MDorf »

A link to your depth chart would go a long way to answering the question accurately. It could be bad luck or it could be the ratings.
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

GM33 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:00 pm According to the Game Guide, there are in fact different weightings for Overall Rating, and defense is a much smaller piece of the pie...
If I said defense is 1% of the performance and the rating weights it at 10% of the performance then that's inflating it to ten times what it should be.

Ideally, the ratings would reflect what you'd expect to see, but then that'd kill the fun of figuring it out, so...
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Vytron wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:08 am
GM33 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:00 pm According to the Game Guide, there are in fact different weightings for Overall Rating, and defense is a much smaller piece of the pie...
If I said defense is 1% of the performance and the rating weights it at 10% of the performance then that's inflating it to ten times what it should be.
That's your opinion. Defense matters much more than 1%, especially at certain positions. Also, certain skills matter more at certain positions, like arm in the OF and at C, and range in the infield, especially up the middle.

Since the stretching rules were added, arm has become very important for OFer's. You wouldn't want to be giving up 300+ stolen bases every season, so why would you want to give up 300+ extra bases on hits. Many SimD owners are giving up that many or more extra bases on stretching situations, and those extra bases are of 3rd base and home!
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

WillyD wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:23 am You wouldn't want to be giving up 300+ stolen bases every season, so why would you want to give up 300+ extra bases on hits.
You do if the guy hits more home runs to compensate. But we've proven our discussions are useless because you refuse to join a trial league with me to prove who knows the sim better, because it'd look pretty bad for you ending at the bottom of the standings because you overestimated defense. That's how one shows whose 'opinion' is better.
caissa

Post by caissa »

Vytron wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:06 pm
WillyD wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:23 am You wouldn't want to be giving up 300+ stolen bases every season, so why would you want to give up 300+ extra bases on hits.
You do if the guy hits more home runs to compensate. But we've proven our discussions are useless because you refuse to join a trial league with me to prove who knows the sim better, because it'd look pretty bad for you ending at the bottom of the standings because you overestimated defense. That's how one shows whose 'opinion' is better.
Shots fired!!
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

caissa wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:24 am
Vytron wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:06 pm
Shots fired!!
Not really. He/She is a newb spouting off his/her mouth, and shouldn't be telling anyone how to play the sim.

We have a trial league hero in the house folks! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”