Why does my A+/A defense SS suck in the field?

Owner to Owner help and advice
allenciox

Why does my A+/A defense SS suck in the field?

Post by allenciox »

So, my assumption has been that at 2B and SS, you want really good fielders. So I have a SS (http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=126 ... s=fielding ) who is no great shakes at the plate, but I play him because of his A+ range/A arm. He should be pretty in the field, right? In 140 games started for the year (2071), his +/- is -3. In the playoffs, twice he has had players "single past the SS". How does a SS with an A+ range have a -3 +/- over course of an entire season? By the way, over 7 seasons in the majors, he is +16 at SS, about +2 per year. Not as bad, but why do I have A range players who consistently get +4, +6 over course of the season?

Is there something I am missing? Is there something else that +/- depends on?
Last edited by allenciox on Fri May 04, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
allenciox

Re: Why does my A+/A defense SS suck in the field?

Post by allenciox »

PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

Nothing that I am aware of--you are probably seeing a player at the very extreme of the statistical distribution for this skill set.
abarkov

Post by abarkov »

Look at this SS. Wish I had an answer for you. http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id ... s=Fielding
Cleveland Frowns - Pete Rose League
Milwaukee Mad Cows - Goose Goslin League
Pittsburgh Poofy Puffs - Ralph Kiner League
Boston Beanitos - Tim Raines League
Detroit Crankshafts - Ken Griffey Jr League
Lawman23

Post by Lawman23 »

In this game , a dozen errors over 140 games is not bad.
allenciox

Post by allenciox »

Wow, that guy Pierce... that is freaking bizarre.... went from +28 in one year to -6 in the next? That makes absolutely no sense... what, does the game simulate personal life and just apply random modifiers for a year to a person? There is no statistical model that I know of that could produce such wildly disparate results unless something else I don't understand is going on.
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

every play is a dice roll
raverob

Post by raverob »

He has made only 30 errors in 640 games Very good stats Average of 6 errors a year at SS is impressive :D
allenciox

Post by allenciox »

The weird thing is, I think that a dice roll should work differently, in that a top-flight SS should never perform that bad over a course of a season. With your guy Pierce, and now my guy Pashnick, as this season he is +16 so far, compared to -3 last year, with no off-season improvements in fielding ---- there should be more regularity from year to year.

There is some source data that might explain it --- it depends on the number of total plays each year that result in a + or a -. For infield, I believe there are two events that are considered: On the positive side, some hits can be otherwise prevented by a roll representing a "great play" (marked as "great play by the {position} to prevent a {single,double,triple}" text) while on the negative side there can be "{singles,doubles} past the {position}" (for outfield it would be "in front of").

I will look into that in the next day or so and see what I can find out. If there are a couple hundred plays in a year where one of these events occur for a 130-game shortstop, then the distribution of sums is greater than if it is, say, if there are thirty or forty.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”