Player Skill Ranking

Owner to Owner help and advice
ballmark

Re: Player Skill Ranking

Post by ballmark »

Soooooo...I have been answering the completely wrong set of questions this whole time. Typical.

smh
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

ballmark wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 pm Soooooo...I have been answering the completely wrong set of questions this whole time. Typical.

smh
You have given far more valuable insight in this thread than I did. You just answered a different concern than the one asked. ;)
mattyb5000

Post by mattyb5000 »

Hamilton2 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 pm On the player skills ranking page the players are grouped by overall grade and then sorted alphabetically by first name. It isn't a true listing by overall grade.
The entire time I've played SimD (over 10 years now) I've never realized that. Wow!
allenciox

Post by allenciox »

That's intentional so that it doesn't "give away" the actual grades via the listing. However, on your depth chart, in your minors and in the majors as well, it will have the highest overall rating player listed first, second second, and so on. Sometimes that can be useful when you have two pitchers with the same overall rating, the one that is listed first is higher rated.

For pitchers, I generally can figure out the underlying numbers pretty quickly for control and power ratings for pitchers. Once I do that, I can record it on that player's notes and always know exactly what their number ratings are. For batters there are a lot more ratings to keep track of so it probably isn't worth the effort.

FYI, if you happen to see a pitcher with an endurance of C+, but he is listed as a starting pitcher, then his endurance is "exactly" 51. Once you know that you can track it. Note that such pitchers do NOT lose endurance at the end of a season pitching relief, so apparently the test for that is not that they are labelled a starting pitcher, but that their endurance is B- or better.
allenciox

Post by allenciox »

One more trick I often do, particularly for teams that I am not managing... for the paired abilities (vel/ctrl, CvR/PvR,CvL,PvL,arm/range are the pairs), if one of them is an A+, take a look at their improvement history. If that skill stopped increasing years ago but its pair continued increasing, you can be pretty sure that that rating is maxxed out (value of 100).
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

The Promote/Waive page will also list each attribute by actual ranking, so that can sometimes be helpful when looking at your own team, at least.

You can often do a fairly decent "educated guess" if you look at a player's past skills starting point, take the midpoint of those grades, then add the total number of improvements they've had. You will come out fairly close to their current value. If, for example, the numbers add up to 91, but the attribute says A+, it's probably 92 or 93 ... you can be reasonably sure it's a low A+, at any rate.
chbutt

Post by chbutt »

I sorted all the pitchers by ratings in my leagues two years ago. The average ERA for A+ B- was 4.29. It was better than A B (4.53) and A- B+ (4.51). The best was A A (2.86) B+ A+ (2.90) and A+ A- (3.17) A+ A was only 3.27 but it was a small sample size. The worst for any significant amount of innings was A- B- at 5.56
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

I wonder if that's a good metric, as better teams with better rated pitchers will generally have better defenses (fewer unearned runs) while teams with worse pitching grades will tend to be rebuilding clubs with young players and sloppier defenses leading to more unearned runs (hence a better overall ERA).

Try calculating FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching).

((13*HR+(3*(HBP+BB)-(2*K))/IP)+3.2)

You find HR on Opp. Batting Page.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”