Top 5

Owner to Owner help and advice
bahstonwedsawks

Re: Top 5

Post by bahstonwedsawks »

WillyD wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 pm Pena will be an all-star and MVP candidate, an elite table setter with good pop on his bat, very good speed, bunting ability, an GG level defense in the middle infield. Not to mention he'll be ready to play and contribute at 22 years old!

As good as Pfeffer will be, I can't see him contributing more to a team. Unless you already have a bunch of blue chip hitting prospects, and don't have a really good relief prospect, Pena is your man.
Pena will be a stud. I agree on that. But I think Pfeffer will make a larger impact long-term. I will always take a solid A overall arm over a solid A overall bat. Especially if the pitcher is A+/A projected. I always focus on pitching and let the hitting sort itself out... pitching should be the priority for building championship teams, hitting is a distant second in terms of importance, IMO. What I recommend to the original poster is make offers to try to get both guys... sell the farm if you need to. If you have Pfeffer and Pena as the backbone of your team you will be very happy for years to come.
#1 Overall Owner All-Time in these categories:
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
Playoff Apprncs Pct (96%)
http://simdynasty.com/ownerleaders.jsp? ... &submit=Go
bahstonwedsawks

Dumbwop wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 pm Is there some formula for drafting?
I'd say the best approach is to avoid the automated pre-draft ranking feature. I always go through every player and rank them manually. And it is rare for me to draft a hitter... I think pitching is that much more important. Hope this helps.
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

bahstonwedsawks wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:53 pm
WillyD wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 pm Pena will be an all-star and MVP candidate, an elite table setter with good pop on his bat, very good speed, bunting ability, an GG level defense in the middle infield. Not to mention he'll be ready to play and contribute at 22 years old!

As good as Pfeffer will be, I can't see him contributing more to a team. Unless you already have a bunch of blue chip hitting prospects, and don't have a really good relief prospect, Pena is your man.
Pena will be a stud. I agree on that. But I think Pfeffer will make a larger impact long-term. I will always take a solid A overall arm over a solid A overall bat. Especially if the pitcher is A+/A projected. I always focus on pitching and let the hitting sort itself out... pitching should be the priority for building championship teams, hitting is a distant second in terms of importance, IMO. What I recommend to the original poster is make offers to try to get both guys... sell the farm if you need to. If you have Pfeffer and Pena as the backbone of your team you will be very happy for years to come.
Offense and defense are both 50% of the game. There's 2 things you need to win championships. Some elite hitters that can hit very good pitching, and elite pitching that can get very good hitters out. If you can surround a few great hitters and a few great pitchers with a bucnh of good players, you'll have a team capable of winning.

For hitters, I like to have at least a couple great hitters with great contact, speed, and some power, and a couple with great power, good speed and contact. These guys don't come around in every draft, especially with good health and defense at the critical middle infield positions!
bahstonwedsawks

WillyD wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:16 pm Offense and defense are both 50% of the game.
I don't feel like having a deeper debate than what we've had discussing whether pitching or hitting is more important. I will always take a stud pitcher over a stud hitter regardless of need. To each his own. We all have different strategies which is what makes this game so fun!
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
MDorf

Post by MDorf »

Drafting is certainly important, but development is where most people fail. That is especially true in the system 2 and 6 development system. You have finite resources and it is like a puzzle. I'm not sure how you have played in the past, but it is very difficult to build a team without tearing it down and amassing picks and prospects. You just cannot develop enough at one time to create a roster without a bunch of holes. You don't have enough trade pieces to fill all of the holes and the team will get old very fast. Once you have built it there are things you can do to keep it together longer, but you have to get it built first. If I purchased your team as is, I would start out trying to trade Febles, Cooper, Remsen, Stone, and McGhee. I would also be looking for prospects on competitive teams and looking to see if I can fill any of their holes if they have someone I want. You also have to be mindful of what you are trading for. 8 first round picks and/or teen prospects doesn't do you a lot of good. Spread the picks out as much as possible between seasons and don't put much value on 2nd round picks (a playoff 2nd round pick will probably be at least your 4th pick in a draft and unlikely to be developed). At this point, I am starting to try to move the rest of your guys (Mills, Kline, Atkinson, and Pinnance). Don't let prospects rot. Promote and play what you cannot develop in the minors (not teenagers or hopefully 20 year olds, but you might have to play some 21 year olds. Keep your mentor score at C+. Everything has a purpose.
Dumbwop

Post by Dumbwop »

Trading in this league is almost impossible. I have promoted early and got hosed numerous times. Even with C+ mentoring or better.

Never use the auto ranking. My biggest issue is Im not 100% sure how to take a draft pick and figure were it will be in 5 years. Overall what you have given is good advice and Ill see who I can move. Ill tear it down and see if I can use some of the advice given by yourself bahston

Any other tid bits would be helpful.
awasp69

Post by awasp69 »

I am in this league also, and it can be difficult to trade sometimes, since we have 6 vacant teams currently. Trying to rectify that at the moment.
bahstonwedsawks

Dumbwop wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:07 pm Ill tear it down and see if I can use some of the advice given by yourself bahston
I'll respond to your private message tomorrow with more tips as long as it's not shared publicly.
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
Dumbwop

Post by Dumbwop »

Looks like #4 for me so I guess Ill get on of them.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Good job getting Higbe at #4. He'll be a very good starting pitcher.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”