Mini Trade offer rant

Discussions for the Sandberg Yingling League.

Moderator: ballmark

findley80

Mini Trade offer rant

Post by findley80 »

I gotta get something off my chest and let me be clear about a few things up front. This isn’t a big deal. I’m not pissed off and my intent is not to call individuals out publicly or start any arguments on the forum, just to explain my thoughts. If anyone has constructive feedback or comments they are welcome but let’s not throw stones.

I’ve gotten some rude responses to trade offers from a couple of owners recently and been accused of being unreasonable. Yes I want to win and I’m trying to get the best deal I can, but we can’t always know others owners’ thoughts. We all grade players differently and value different things. I don’t always know what someone’s future plans are for their team or what direction they are taking the team and communicating can be difficult in this forum.

I don’t think I’ve ever purposely been rude to anyone on this site and it’s disappointing that people are now being rude to me. This is a game and I come here for fun and to get a few mins away from corporate America here and there and it sucks when I get the same shit here as everywhere else. Sometimes deals are not going to work out, sometimes you may not like an offer, but a) everything is negotiable and b)we shouldn’t assume bad intent or be rude.
ballmark

Re: Mini Trade offer rant

Post by ballmark »

Aww, man, I'm sorry this happened, Stephen.

I think I was unintentionally rude to someone in a declined trade offer last night. It was late, I was tired, and I don't think I said what I wanted to say in the right way.

However, there's a difference between being unintentionally rude and purposefully rude.

But then, one man's rude is simply another man's sarcasm, or snark. They may not have seen it as rudeness. This is part of the problem with a written and read medium. Voice inflection carries **SO** much meaning and you lose that when all you have are words on a screen.

But hey, all, let's make an effort. civility keeps the lines of communication open and by the grace of God and patience, these 16 guys will be here awhile and they are all you have to swap players around. Burning trade bridges ain't gonna help anyone in the long run.
findley80

Post by findley80 »

Always appreciate your thoughts Mark, thanks. Perhaps you’re right in some instances about intent and I should practice what I preach, but I’ve had some pretty blatant remarks as well. Bottoms line is always try to offer fair value and what I think the other owner may need. I’m k not always right, but am willing to negotiate. Sometimes you’re just not going to se eye to eye but then that’s it...you can explain your thoughts and communicate, but save the parting shots and insults.
frankum

Post by frankum »

I know that I am guilty of both doing this and having it done to me. Trading and the wheeling/dealing aspect is a big part of what makes this game fun. I will make my effort to be better.
tigersrback

Post by tigersrback »

I agree with what’s been said already, it’s hard to distinguish sarcasm and being a prickly in the written word. It’s not always what someone says it how they say it. We don’t have the option to speak . I always try and just give my honest opinion on trade offers, it may come across snarky but I’m just being honest. I’ve had no issue with anyone, other than offering better trades only to see that player dealt a year later for peanuts.

As a 8 year veteran owner I’m positive I don’t offer awful deals, maybe not always 50/50 but when u see an offer from me I give up real assets. The trading in this league sucks, shouldn’t be this hard to acquire players or deal them. I’m both buying or selling , but I can’t do either.
findley80

Post by findley80 »

I do think it is mostly a matter of communication, but I can also be more clear. I know I must have appeared rude in plenty of cases.

I will say that this is one of the tougher leagues to get a deal done in, but I still manage to get a few. Not sure why that is except there are some good owners here that drive hard bargains.
ptech

Post by ptech »

ballmark wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:23 am
I think I was unintentionally rude to someone in a declined trade offer last night. It was late, I was tired, and I don't think I said what I wanted to say in the right way.

However, there's a difference between being unintentionally rude and purposefully rude.
Lol, pretty sure that was to me. I didn't find it rude (even if i disagree with your analysis). And I actually understood the simile you were going for.

I too have done the "late night" thing. Badly responded to offers, and sent some bad ones. Tired brain yields poor results.

All that said, there's one owner in the league who is consistently rude when they decline offers. Or at least that's how I perceive it. But As Tiger & Mark said, it could just be a translation form the owners mind, to the typed word, to how its received.

(the internet needs an agreed upon sarcasm font in the worst way)
connorf

Post by connorf »

I've had this happen to me in the past too and found it frustrating. I do think part of it could be miscommunication though, tone can often be lost in writing. We all have an inner monologue and probably read what we write as we would say it in real life, while when someone else reads it they don't hear your voice, and then they take it differently then how you intended.

There is, of course, also a lot of intentional rudeness on the internet though. The anonymity can bring out the worst in people. I've gotten frustrated on my PS4 and definitely reacted differently then how I would in real life.

Return to “Sandberg Yingling League”