2216 Year-End Roundup

Discussions for the Sandberg Yingling League.

Moderator: ballmark

ballmark

2216 Year-End Roundup

Post by ballmark »

Well and wowie! Only one team from 2215 returned to the playoffs this year. Good for you, SYL! Way to get out there and compete your proverbial socks off! We did have to post Washington - and please welcome BlondeBombshell, our new owner of the Nits! (We'll see if that team nickname is retained in 2217.) That's the first time Washington has had a new owner since the league merged back in 2079, a span of 237 seasons. Mercy!

Please give him/her a big Sandberg Yingling League welcome and BlondeBombshell, please feel free to chime in with a little about yourself. Your Owner Card looks like you know your way around the game, but if you have any questions, do feel free to ask. We've had a few speed bumps lately on the trading front with negotiations being less than civil, but we're all trying to work it out with honest, fair, and polite discourse going forward, right kids? Right? RIGHT? :lol:

Also, my thanks to phishingtrip for chaperoning the Washington franchise -shortlived though it was. On with this year's recap!

+++

Stephen's Atlanta Braves won our regular season with 111 victories, that's the most the Braves have put up in five years and nine more than last season. Atlanta clocked eight All Stars, including the MVP and Cy Young winner in making the playoffs for the second straight year. In fact, the Braves plated 80% of the MVP candidates! They won the NLCS in six games over the upstart Heatwave and then went on to the World Series for the second straight year.

Our next big regular season winner were the New York Titans, in the playoffs for the second time in the past three years, with 105 wins. That's 15 more than last year and the most Chris has won since joining the league in 2206. Congratulations! The Titans only rostered four All Stars, however, but one of them was the AL Cy Young Winner. New York, though, could only come up with a single win in the ALCS, and will sit home to watch the rest of the playoffs this year. But they have a young team; they'll be back.

The Cleveland Cuyahoga came in third in our SYL regular season, with 103 wins. In last year's post, I wrote that I thought they'd compete in 2215, maybe in 2216? And the answer was yes, compete they did! Owen's team put up a +23 win differential and I had to go back to 2147 to find a Cleveland team that won more games. This latest rebuild took the Cuyahoga 12 years but they are back! And ousting the Titans in five games says they may be back for awhile, with five All Stars and the AL MVP.

Rounding out our playoff seeds were the Arizona Heatwave, a team that came from an astounding **seventh** place in 2215 to the NL Wild Card with 96 wins this season. A +25 in the Win Column!! Eight All Stars and a lot of team chemistry carried the day for Connor but their luck ran out in Game Six of the NLCS.

+++

In the World Series, Atlanta took the first game and then it was just all Cleveland as the Cuyahoga won their first Championship since 2165 :arrow: ending a five decade drought! Congratulations, Owen!! It's the eleventh franchise championship for this proud club.

+++

WON-LOST VARIANCE FOR THE REST OF US:
Cincinnati = +19 ... last year said "they look better"; this year they were better.
Los Angeles AL = +5 ... has made the playoffs on fewer wins; but it may be time to rebuild.
San Francisco = +5 ... second straight year of positive growth; won't be long.
Milwaukee = +1 ... thought they might be a playoff candidate this year. Now, I dunno.
Seattle = even ... still waiting for a competitive team to emerge.
Texas = even ... still waiting for a pitching staff to emerge.
Los Angeles NL = <5> ... second year of negatives, but not nearly as bad.
Boston = <6> ... a step back. I'm betting two steps up next year.
Pittsburgh = <14> ... was +7 last year; wha' happened??
Washington = <16> ... the rebuild begins.
Baltimore = <20> ... declines hit 'em hard!
Philadelphia = <40> ... when team announced rebuild, they were serious!
Owenatkinson

Re: 2216 Year-End Roundup

Post by Owenatkinson »

Thanks for the write up...been a long drought for my club!

Welcome to the new owner and congrats to the playoff teams.
ptech

Re: 2216 Year-End Roundup

Post by ptech »

True story, Mark. I don’t do half assed rebuilds.

Return to “Sandberg Yingling League”