The top pick

Discussions for the Sandberg Yingling League.

Moderator: ballmark

ptech

The top pick

Post by ptech »

Barring something nutty, I should end up with the 1st overall pick.

I'm taking bids now...but I'll say this, I have zero qualms with taking Heath. I *love* this guy as a prospect. He can stabilize and lead a bullpen for the next 15 years. So keep that in mind when making your offers.
MidnightHurricane

Re: The top pick

Post by MidnightHurricane »

oh my internal debate about relievers, I guess if anyone is reading this, it's not internal anymore .. this game beats up relievers, I swear that 40 % of the runs scored in this game are in the 8th and 9th inning .. I never ever had a lights out closer, in any league .. why can't we have a closer once in awhile come along like Mariano Rivera .. an era around 2 ish in his career, a save percentage nearing 95% .. I may have had a closer once or twice do that for a season, but a career, not even close .. arguably the greatest closer of all time in this league .. Casey Hauser .. 15 time allstar. 13 time fireman award winner, 2nd all time is saves .. his career era .. 3.32 .. his save percentage 87.3 %

does Heath have a chance to be that good, maybe .. but the numbers say how good is that? .. the other way to look at it is .. despite the good but not great numbers, Heath will be head and shoulders above his peers? .. I don't try and pick relievers in the draft, but I always look to trade for some .. they are important, but how important?

Heath at C- in endurance … he might in a few seasons get to C+, and become a 15 to 17 out starter .. and I guarantee his era would be lower as a starter then as a reliever .. cuz sim dynasty beats up on relievers lol, my conspiracy theory
tigersrback

Post by tigersrback »

I agree. I just had an “elite” closer who wasn’t elite. I’ve been playing this game for 9 years and have never felt good about the late innings with anybody.

While I did make an offer, closers rarely decide titles.

Side note I just lost 100 games for the 1st time since my 1st year, and I had to sell 50 cents on the dollar to do it.
ptech

Post by ptech »

TBH with you guys, If i do end up taking heath, I'd use him as a 120-140 inning per year middle reliever. And Midnight is right....there's a decent chance he ends up as a C+ endurance guy too. That would open up other options.

Plus, as a rebuilding team (and this only applies to a handful of us), I'd never need to spend a single CP on him.
connorf

Post by connorf »

I think the reliever is destined to be a starter. Relievers who pitch a ton get a ton of IC's in the majors and if you go over 50 I think they all go to endurance.

I think the lack of lockdown closers is annoying as well. There's a few player archetypes we never get in this game, like true star hitters without any power like an Ichiro, Boggs or Tony Gwynn is impossible as well. Or power hitters with low average but good OBP can't exist either since patience is tied into contact. Not enough variability in hitters IMO. Although, I keep playing after like 10 years so I can't complain too much.

Return to “Sandberg Yingling League”