Terrible MVP Choice

Discussions for the Sandberg Yingling League.

Moderator: ballmark

connorf

Terrible MVP Choice

Post by connorf »

How did my player Matt Barthold win MVP last year when Dave Bohen out hit him in every category? A player batting .353 with 48 home runs loses to a guy batting .297 with 46. Craziness
MidnightHurricane

Re: Terrible MVP Choice

Post by MidnightHurricane »

Barthold was way more valuable .. he ran the bingo game in the clubhouse, stocked the vending machines and uber drove for the clubhouse employees
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

It's the ol' "Team Bonus" that puts your guy over the top.

From the Game Guide:
The goal of the MVP formula is to select the winner using the same criteria that MLB voters use. To read more about how this formula was created, see the article at http://www.simdynasty.com/mvp.jsp . The formula for MVPs is (Hits * 1.5) + 2B + 3B + (HR * 2.5) + (RBI * 2.5) + BB + (Runs * 2) + SB + Average Bonuses + Team Bonus + League Leader Bonus + Player Bonus + Monster Stat Bonus. Average Bonus is +/-2 points per pct above/below .300 AVG +/-1.25 points per pct above/below .400 OBP +/-1.5 points per pct above/below .475 SLG. For Team Bonus, you get +150 within 5 games of making the playoffs, +60 for 90 Wins, +100 for 100 Wins, and +115 for 115 Wins, if in first place you get games ahead *2, if more than 10 games back of 1st place then games back *-2, +/-20 points for each spot in the standings your team improved/declined verses the previous season. For League Leader Bonus, you get 10 points for leading the league in HR, RBI, or AVG and 5 points for leading the league in SB or Runs. The Player Bonus, you get a Defensive position bonus SS(190), C(185), 2B(130), RF(140), 3B(30), CF(30), if the player is new to the team this season you get +50, if the player previously won the MVP you get -100. The Monster Stat bonus, you get 1 point per HR if you hit 50 or more HRs, .333 per RBI if you get 140 or more RBI, and 1 point per SB if you steal 50 or more bases.
tigersrback

Post by tigersrback »

Bohen was .002 in BA away from winning the triple crown (both leagues, Former Smog ,Scott Smith .355 Bohen .353)
postal99

Post by postal99 »

If your team is not in the top 3 no player on your team, no matter how awesome his stats are, has a chance at mvp. This is one of the very few flaws simdynasty has
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Except that it's the same formula that Major League Baseball uses, or at least that's what they try to emulate.

There's an interesting - long, but interesting - post by sports writer Joe Posnanski about MVP voting (once he gets into the individual voting years, scroll down to the 2000s, if you like). You can find that here. But here's his conclusion:
It is rare that the best hitter in the league wins the MVP award BECAUSE he’s the best hitter in the league. It might have happened a few times — Larry Walker in 1997, Joe Torre in 1971, Willie McCovey in 1969, Bagwell and Thomas in the strike year of 1994 and so on — but in general to be MVP you need to play a key defensive position, have his team win, [and] be imbued with great and potentially undetectable qualities.
I did some looking myself at the past few real life seasons, and with rare exception - though more frequent exception than I thought there would be - the MVP in real life does come from a playoff team.

All of which is to say yeah, I think the site could stand to pare down the Team Bonus just a bit.
postal99

Post by postal99 »

From 1969 (playoffs started) thru 2011, 22 American League and 22 national league mvp’s we’re NOT from playoff teams. That’s 44 out of 84 mvp winners. (No playoffs or World Series in 1993). Since 2012, when the wild card round was added, a total of 6 mvp winners came from non playoff teams. 1 of those was from a wild card team that lost. So that’s 5/6 out of 14. That’s nowhere near what happens here at simdynasty, even if you factor in the few times a third place team produces the mvp.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

All of which is to say yeah, I think the site could stand to pare down the Team Bonus just a bit.
Exactly the conclusion I came to, as well. But I really appreciate you put in a much more thorough look at the data than I did, Dave. Most excellent!

I'll suggest Admin take a second look at the formula.

Return to “Sandberg Yingling League”