Let's Go - AL

Discussions for the Sandberg Yingling League.

Moderator: ballmark

frankum

Let's Go - AL

Post by frankum »

:o 2264 showed a really solid amount of parity in the AL. Despite New York and Chicago running away with the playoff positions, only 5 games separated 3rd and 7th place! Pretty impressive to not have a single team win nor lose 100 games in a season. Given this absurd parity, the obvious choice for manager of the year is jchardern1 with his Boston franchise winning 14 more games than the previous season. Congratulations!

:lol: After the New York Titans came out as the division winners for the third season in a row, the Chicago Machine snuck past Cleveland.....after announcing a rebuild. In the absolute fastest rebuild ever, Chicago was able to win the second postseason spot by a whopping 7 games over the Cuyahoga.

8-) 8-) The ALCS was, unfortunately, not very exciting. After a nail biter of a game one going to the Titans with a 2-1 victory, Chicago stole the second game 4-1. The 1-1 split with good play by both teams initially lead the fans to believe a painfully tight series was on the way. This, was not to be the case. The Titans ripped off the next 3 games in demoralizing fashion by outscoring the Machine 28-3. Wow!

:P Moving into the World Series, we were given a series for the ages. New York came out swinging the sticks against the Los Angels Smog and put a 7-0 drubbing on them to move into a 1-0 lead. Following the pattern of the ALCS, the Smog took game 2, the New York caught fire again winning the next two games 4-3 and 11-2. Riding a 3-1 lead and the strength of their offense into game 5, it seemed a forgone conclusion that this Series was going to end with the Titans as champions. If you believed this, you were wildly wrong. The next 3 games went to Los Angels. There were no real nail biters either. Despite the Titans routinely grabbing an early lead, the Smog were not to be defeated and battled from the 3-1 deficit to claim the title.

SO WHAT ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE
We are joined again by a top AL GM to give us the prognosis for the AL teams moving forward.

:oops: Clevlenad Cuahoga - a 14 game miss compared to the record the previous year, the Cleveland faithful are certainly disappointed in the 2264 season. Luckily, Cleveland is a resilient town used to disappointment and they'll surely back the stadium with hope next year.
The inside: Total fluke this year. These things happen. The only thing that's unexpected is to have consistent performance in this league. The pitching staff remains primed for another 4 year of playoff caliber ability with the offense probably being even deeper. See them as the division leaders for the next 4 years.

:?: Boston Americans - huge jump in the standings this season. With Boston firmly cemented in the middle of the pack, I'm not sure there will be much of a jump moving into next season.
The inside: There is a little bit to get excited about on this roster. The top 3 pitchers are 26/28/29 and four strong position players in their mid-late twenties as well. The bones are certainly in place for Boston to make a jump. The time is now, though. The minors look barren, so Boston will need to make savvy trades involving their future draft picks to make a big jump.

:| Texas Lonestars - a couple seasons ago we believed Texas was in their prime. We also believed that Texas just didn't have the juice to move pa st Chicago/Cleveland/New York. That has appeared to be the case, and will likely only get worse for Texas here.
The inside: I love the Lonestars organization. If they ask me for my advice at the moment, it's simple: strip it down and start again. The team has too many important players who are hitting their decline years and I don't see the players nor the trade bait on the roster to fill those gaps. One more season where they might push into the playoffs, then it'll be downhill.

:? Los Angeles Soon to be Minnesota - another season of .500 ball is overshadowed by the ownership group; ARE THEY GOING TO MOVE OR NOT. Do you know? Does the league? Do the owners? I sure don't. Stop back in next season for another episode of days of our lives.
The inside: The location/relocation of this team certainly overshadows what I see as a damn solid group of ballplayers. Everything is in place for this team to become a powerhouse. Maybe one more big bat is what they need to make the jump?

:( Tampa Bay Beach - ownership has shown frustration with the teams performance, and rightfully so. Another season where they failed to have a winning club.
The inside: I'm not sure about the plan. Trading away an all star for a slew of middle relievers wasn't a lucrative decision. A couple seasons ago I felt like the team was right on the verge of making the jump. I look at the roster now and I no longer feel confident that they're close. Only 3 sure things in the whole pitching staff is a massive headwind that the offense just isn't strong enough to overcome.

:arrow: Kansas City Blues - the leagues favorite rebuilding franchise stayed pretty consistent with their plan of adding talent.
The inside: I love the makeup of the roster right now. Strong youth in pitching and key offensive positions. Look for Kansas City to be competitive sooner than Tampa Bay here.

Return to “Sandberg Yingling League”