2210 Wrap-Up Just Under the Wire

Discussions for the Sandberg Yingling League.

Moderator: ballmark

ballmark

2210 Wrap-Up Just Under the Wire

Post by ballmark »

Personal schedule plus some health issues have thrown me for a loop here, gents. Struggling a bit just to maintain. But I want to keep faith with you fellows. You keep the SYL a quality place to play and I respect that. I owe you this.

+++

It was the third year in a row that the same four clubs went toe to toe in the postseason though we saw a different duo ending up in the Big Dance when the dust settled. Let's break it down.

Connor's Arizona Heatwave once again won the most games in the regular season with 115, though that was two less than last year. It marks the fourth year in a row the desert-based baseball mavens have won the regular season National League title.

Jim's Washington Nits also made the postseason for the fourth straight year, but this year they won the AL regular season crown with 111 victories. That, my friends, is a FRANCHISE RECORD for jchart302 here in the SYL. He's never done that before! Congratulations!

And that means that both Los Angeles teams wound up in the Wild Card spot in each league. Would they end up facing each other again in the World Series? The National League version, known as the Smog, won 105 times, down 6 from last year. They had a 10-14 head-to-head record against Arizona and were only 4-8 at home, which probably explains why they had to endure Arizona celebrating the NLCS victory in LA's home park. Maybe next year, Johnny.

Over in the AL, Todd's LA Twins were four games off last year's pace with 102 wins, and they took the ALCS through a pretty exciting six game set before falling to Washington on a walk-off sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth. Not exactly the stuff of legend, but it got the job done.

Which takes us to the World Series with a new pairing: Washington vs. Arizona. These two teams went at each just three years ago, in 2207, with the Heatwave winning the title in six games. This year they didn't even need that many, sweeping the Nits right outta 2210 and claiming their **29th** World Series Championship Trophy here in the Sandberg Yingling League.

Congrats to all the postseason teams, and especially to Connor! ABE is going to turn this thing over in just over two hours, so let's get ready to do it again, eh?

+++

W-L VARIANCE FOR THE REST OF US
Milwaukee = +26 ... WTH??? Secret ultimatum must have been issued to the front office.
New York AL = +13 ... rebuild shows signs of life
Philadelphia = +13 ... fifth straight year of positive variance and third place in the NL. Watch out 2211!!
Cincinnati = +12 ... finally turned things around after three years of setbacks
Seattle = +11 ... second straight year of solid progress
Atlanta = EVEN ... quick pause to catch their breath
Boston = EVEN ... see Atlanta
Texas = <3> ... can't make up their mind whether to rebuild or not
Baltimore = <6> ... a step back after two steps forward
Pittsburgh = <14> ... somebody had to suck up those Milwaukee wins
Cleveland = <19> ... second year of falling back; will get a good draft pick!
San Francisco = <29> ... okay, wait, NOW rebuild has begun in earnest
ptech

Re: 2210 Wrap-Up Just Under the Wire

Post by ptech »

As always, thanks Mark. I hope you're doing ok.
MidnightHurricane

Post by MidnightHurricane »

take care of yourself .. health and happiness to everyone .. hope you feel better soon
findley80

Post by findley80 »

Thanks and stay well!
connorf

Post by connorf »

Love your write ups Mark, I hope you start feeling better.

Return to “Sandberg Yingling League”