2211 Year End with Yawns (I'm Tired)

Discussions for the Sandberg Yingling League.

Moderator: ballmark

ballmark

2211 Year End with Yawns (I'm Tired)

Post by ballmark »

(Sorry about the title ... started typing this as 12:30am Friday night before the OS ran; fell asleep at my desk. Finished it this morning. Still struggling with a couple things but slowly improving. Thanks for your kind thoughts. They help. They really do.)

+++

A couple of new teams slipped into the playoff picture last year, and that was new and kind of exciting! Missing out were the Twins in the AL who won 95 games and that was usually enough to get them in so 2211 signaled the American League was definitely transmogrifying into something new. The Heatwave won 104 games and **still** didn't make the playoffs so it was a tough, tough NL last year. Arizona fans were disappointed to hear the front office announce a rebuild but yet strangely looking forward to the hordes of new talent Connor's deals will be bringing in.

The National League Smog in Los Angeles was our regular season Win Leader with 114. That's the most for Johnny's squad in five seasons and a +9 over last year. In their seventh straight playoff season, the team boasted half a dozen All Stars, the MVP, and the Fireman of the Year but still were ousted in a seven-game NLCS by the upstart Braves. At home, no less. Defeated in a 2-hit shutout. (Personal privilege: by a young pitcher the Lonestars had dealt to Atlanta.)

Speaking of, Atlanta was hot on their heels with 112 wins. In 2209 they had a +15 W/L variance but were even last year. I had written, "quick pause to catch their breath." Boy, was that true because they came in with a +21 this year! Stephen's team also had six All Stars and the Cy Young winner. This is the first time we have seen the Atlanta franchise playing October baseball since 2189, a 22-year stretch.

In the Junior Circuit, Washington repeated 2210's first place performance with another, though 98 wins were 13 off last year's pace. There was some good parity in the AL this year and several teams were fighting for primacy deep into the season. Washington put five men on the All Star team, including the AL MVP. They have been in the postseason for six out of the past seven years.

Rounding out our 2211 playoff scene was our second "new" entry, the Baltimore Breeze, back for the first time in five years. 97 wins was four more than last year for musial55 and enough to grab him a shot at a ring. The team could only place two reserves on the Midsummer Classic roster, but they did boast the AL Cy Young Winner. It was not enough to get them through the ALCS, though they gave it a rousing effort in a six game series.

In the 2211 World Series, Washington was back for the second straight year but it was the first time we'd seen Atlanta here since 2173. It was not a pitcher's series, as a minimum of five runs were scored each and every one of the seven games played. In the early going, Washington just looked outmatched until it came to the point where they just had to win, or go home. The Nits buckled down and got the job done every time, even when the Series moved back to Atlanta. But in Game Seven, the Braves just came out swinging against Washington's Jim Hamby, a 20-game winner, and Washington's batters couldn't get anything going until the late innings and by then it was too little, too late. So your new SYL Champion is the Atlanta Braves. Congrats to Stephen!!

WON-LOSS VARIANCE FOR THE REST OF US:
Cleveland = +20 ... after two years of negatives, a monster growth year; good to see
San Francisco = +10 ... <29> last year. Noice.
Pittsburgh = +8 ... nice bounceback after <14> last year
New York AL = +4 ... rebuild still growing nicely
Texas = +4 ... still on the rebuild bubble...?
Philadelphia = +1 ... sixth straight year of plus marks here!
Seattle = even ... could be next year's Atlanta
LA AL = <7> ... just a speed bump
Arizona = <11> ... signaled a rebuild in the desert
Cincinnati = <11> ... hopefully a small setback
Boston = <12> ... slipped a bit
Milwaukee = <27> ... after a +26 last year??? Bi-Polar Team Coaches?
caltex123

Re: 2211 Year End with Yawns (I'm Tired)

Post by caltex123 »

Thanks for doing these, it is much appreciated.
MidnightHurricane

Re: 2211 Year End with Yawns (I'm Tired)

Post by MidnightHurricane »

always a great read, for those who keep up with their own team but don't take time to look at the other teams in the league, your year end review is enlightening .. and you do it in a way that you make us all feel good about our teams .. this is still the best league I know of, thanks to everyone

congrats to Atlanta, we all could see this coming, a playoff run that will last a decade, with more then one championship

I see me on the trade block again ( Mike Weston ) also I just notice he threw his third no hitter ( first one was a perfect game ) last season .. I noticed in another league that a pitcher threw his second no hitter and in his player card it says he holds the all time record in that league ..I was wondering, which pitcher holds the all time record in this league? ..he has atleast 4

Return to “Sandberg Yingling League”