Re-Run Draft w/No Restrictions

Discussions for the Tony Conigliaro League.

Moderator: redcped

redcped

Re: Re-Run Draft w/No Restrictions

Post by redcped »

Let me put my thinking cap back on and see if I can dance through the options available to us. ...

--If we scrap the preset top 32 and just let ABE run the draft as usual, then make everyone available at every draft spot, here are the questions we need to answer (so far):

--Do we manually redraft the entire 100, or stop after 32? If we do stop at 32, how does anyone ensure getting any value out of R3-4-5 picks? Presumably you would just be left with whoever you drafted that no one took from you, regardless of which "round" you took them in. In theory, you could get extra players even, if no one took the 5 players you drafted and then you pick other guys. And on the flip side, someone could end up losing all their 3-4-5 players and getting only their draftees from the first two rounds. Am I wrong here?

--Do we limit the number of players that can be taken from any owner? If so, how do we adjust when draft picks have been traded? If I've accumulated 6 picks in the top 32, can I have 6 players taken from me? Is this even a concern, because I'm still going to be able to draft 6 players?

--If someone misses their slot, how do we determine what BA to assign? There would be no agreed list.

--Would we still permit the next person to claim the assigned player?

--Does this system encourage any bad behaviors? Would anyone be incentivized not to rank the players the best they can, for instance? Would there be an advantage to trying to "hide" a draftee so he can't be taken once you lost the maximum you can lose? Basically, I'd want to avoid the unintended consequence of encouraging anyone to move some bad players up the draft list to get taken with their first two picks, in the event their R3-4-5 were deemed untouchable for some reason.

--How do we actually set the draft order before ABE runs the draft? Same as now, with worst team first? Currently we don't worry because of the top 32 thing, but would that need to change? I'm trying to think about why we would, and it's not coming to me, but I thought I'd ask.

OK, that's what occurs to me right now. I think I'll tinker with some draft results and see how they might have turned out based on which of these rules we might choose to use.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Do we manually redraft the entire 100, or stop after 32? If we do stop at 32, how does anyone ensure getting any value out of R3-4-5 picks?
Stop at 32. 3 days of OS is enough. I am in enough leagues that I can tell you most drafts have between 35-45 players who project to B+ overall grades, so there will almost always be some R3 players of value leftover. R4/R5 are developmental crapshoots at best.
...someone could end up losing all their 3-4-5 players and getting only their draftees from the first two rounds. Am I wrong here?
No, but you would have to be Nostradamus himself to have your draft ranked so well that ALL FIVE of your picks wound up being so primo choice that they went in the Top 32.
Do we limit the number of players that can be taken from any owner?
This was something I suggested back when we first talked about opening up the entire class, to protect the rebuilding teams from losing ALL their high-end picks. I like your suggestion that you can lose only as many as you can pick.
If someone misses their slot, how do we determine what BA to assign? There would be no agreed list.
The formula doesn't change, just the range of players we pick from. So "BA" is still Best Available. Theoretically, we are all still picking from the exact same list of players in the exact same order, we're just no longer limited to the Top 32.
Would we still permit the next person to claim the assigned player?
Yes. I don't see why not.
Does this system encourage any bad behaviors? Would anyone be incentivized not to rank the players the best they can, for instance? Would there be an advantage to trying to "hide" a draftee so he can't be taken once you lost the maximum you can lose? Basically, I'd want to avoid the unintended consequence of encouraging anyone to move some bad players up the draft list to get taken with their first two picks, in the event their R3-4-5 were deemed untouchable for some reason.
This issue is addressed by keeping the formula the same. We're not freeing people up to re-rank the class, just freeing them up to pick whomever they want inside of it.
How do we actually set the draft order before ABE runs the draft? Same as now, with worst team first? Currently we don't worry because of the top 32 thing, but would that need to change? I'm trying to think about why we would, and it's not coming to me, but I thought I'd ask.
We could re-order the draft according to the lottery results, which MIGHT end up with fewer teams trading back and forth with each other, but in the long run I don't think it would make that much difference.

-- My two cents.
redcped

Post by redcped »

ballmark wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 am
Do we manually redraft the entire 100, or stop after 32? If we do stop at 32, how does anyone ensure getting any value out of R3-4-5 picks?
Stop at 32. 3 days of OS is enough. I am in enough leagues that I can tell you most drafts have between 35-45 players who project to B+ overall grades, so there will almost always be some R3 players of value leftover. R4/R5 are developmental crapshoots at best.

OK, maybe it's a non-issue.
...someone could end up losing all their 3-4-5 players and getting only their draftees from the first two rounds. Am I wrong here?
No, but you would have to be Nostradamus himself to have your draft ranked so well that ALL FIVE of your picks wound up being so primo choice that they went in the Top 32.

OK, maybe this is also a non-issue, but I'm still worried about owners getting upset they lose too many players.
Do we limit the number of players that can be taken from any owner?
This was something I suggested back when we first talked about opening up the entire class, to protect the rebuilding teams from losing ALL their high-end picks. I like your suggestion that you can lose only as many as you can pick.

I would limit that by saying it's only the number of picks you had in the top 32 that count.
If someone misses their slot, how do we determine what BA to assign? There would be no agreed list.
The formula doesn't change, just the range of players we pick from. So "BA" is still Best Available. Theoretically, we are all still picking from the exact same list of players in the exact same order, we're just no longer limited to the Top 32.

So, we would post the original 100 as it first appears on draft night and use that list? Ah, that might work. Then everyone can reorder it their own way so they get the later round picks they want.
Would we still permit the next person to claim the assigned player?
Yes. I don't see why not.

If we use the original 100 as above, yes this would be OK.
Does this system encourage any bad behaviors? Would anyone be incentivized not to rank the players the best they can, for instance? Would there be an advantage to trying to "hide" a draftee so he can't be taken once you lost the maximum you can lose? Basically, I'd want to avoid the unintended consequence of encouraging anyone to move some bad players up the draft list to get taken with their first two picks, in the event their R3-4-5 were deemed untouchable for some reason.
This issue is addressed by keeping the formula the same. We're not freeing people up to re-rank the class, just freeing them up to pick whomever they want inside of it.

But they are re-ranking the class. If we are only redrafting the top 32, then the rest of the rankings have to be adjustable for owners. You want to try to get better players in the later rounds if you can, right?
How do we actually set the draft order before ABE runs the draft? Same as now, with worst team first? Currently we don't worry because of the top 32 thing, but would that need to change? I'm trying to think about why we would, and it's not coming to me, but I thought I'd ask.
We could re-order the draft according to the lottery results, which MIGHT end up with fewer teams trading back and forth with each other, but in the long run I don't think it would make that much difference.

Yeah, probably doesn't need to change.

-- My two cents.
Baskets

Post by Baskets »

Noble effort doomed to fail, we have a lot of BA for the real draft so I didn't see this going quickly.
cwballer25

Post by cwballer25 »

I think you would have to be able to rank players as you wish...otherwise you are just randomly giving players in R3-R5 now, not based on any owners preferences.

You would be saying that the draftees ranking is locked and you just get whatever pick you have...not who you want to pick. Poorly worded but I hope that makes sense
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

I can see going forward one of three ways:

1. Do nothing. Change nothing.

2. Let everyone rank as they wish, as long as Jason keeps his formula the same and posts what we'll call the "FORMULA CLASS" every year (and then he can also rank his draft however he likes) so we all have a baseline to establish the "Best Available" player for those who miss their time slots. This will be what gets posted to the Google Doc.

3. THIS IS A NEW WAY FORWARD.
• Eliminate the Third Round Steal.
• Instead of a Top 32, use a "Top 40" as your draft pool. This will most likely draw the foreign import players into the draft pool, which Mario complained about last year (rightly so) and leave a little meat on the bone for playoff teams. Eight (8) of these players will go undrafted, of course, and remain with whichever team it was that ABE doled them out to.

I know, crazy, right...?

Return to “Tony Conigliaro League”