Let's talk development again

Discussions for the Tony Conigliaro League.

Moderator: redcped

frankum

Let's talk development again

Post by frankum »

Sorry I keep hounding development questions. I really don't understand exactly how players develop in this game.

So when we draft a player does he have a built in ceiling that he would achieve if everything went correctly? CP until 22/23 and then playing time/innings at the ML level?

Do all players develop the same or do they have variable development? If two pitchers were drafted at 17(17) with B/C/C ratings and they were given the same CP, same IP, and had the same mentor grades, would their ratings peak at the same level?

Also, bundling? Based on what I've read, bundling is set up so a guy drafted as a control pitcher or a power pitcher, will always stay as that, respectively. Is that always the case?

What about John Johnston?
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?mo ... d=12404557
Drafted at 19(20) with B+/C+/C ratings, this guy probably shouldn't have been given any CP. But I didn't know any better and I gave him CP until he turned 22. While developing his control ended up passing his velocity and he became a control pitcher. I then called him to the majors (Where he had no mentors) and he proceeds to become a very good pitcher and win not one but TWO Cy Young awards. How did this happen?
Closer

Re: Let's talk development again

Post by Closer »

From what I've read we have a "0" set for our variable improvement system, which means, if I read it right, that 2 identical players getting identical ICs and innings pitched could very well end up twins at the end of their improvement.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

There is random chance involved. ABE randomly assigns ICs after each game, with the random variables enhanced (or not) based on how your have your Coach Points apportioned.

Then there is also random chance involved in whether or not a codebit will **convert** the improvement chance allotted to it. The lower the grade of an attribute and the younger the age, the greater the probability the conversion will happen. No one knows the actual percentages as they are a closely guarded SimSecret.

I have a pretty good idea, based on - quite literally - quantifying and tracking hundreds of players over months and months of research when I first began playing because I was desperate to develop a reliable projection system but no one knows for certain.
frankum

Post by frankum »

So basically the only accurate way to truly project a players ratings at prime is to develop your own? And you do this by, bare minimum, estimating the exact number of their current rating, projected number of years in minors, best guess at CP opportunities, and best guess at % of conversions?
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

You have stumbled upon the true secret of finding the fun in SimDynasty.

It's not really a baseball simulation game.

It's closer to say it's a draft and develop game.

It's spot on to say it's a draft and figure out how development works best given a league's particular set of rules game, testing through trial and error over many seasons until you have it and can build a winning team time and again.

The confidence and ego boost you get from being able to do THAT is immeasurable and oh, great FUN!

Or I could just tell you how many improves to expect at each age and grade level ... but where's the fun in that, LOL?
frankum

Post by frankum »

Haha. I definitely wouldn't want that. I just didn't even know where to start.

Return to “Tony Conigliaro League”