Draft

Discussions for the Tony Conigliaro League.

Moderator: redcped

ballmark

Re: Draft

Post by ballmark »

As we're into the second round now, I am beginning to suspect that what opening up the entire draft would do is two things:

1. Take away the "steal" strategy and penalty, which may not be that bad of a thing.
2. Leave the playoff teams a little meat on the bone in the form of what few decent players from the early third round may remain who would normally be unavailable to them.

That may or may not be a good thing, depending on your league-building perspective.
frankum

Post by frankum »

I agree. As we have gone through this now, I would not be in favor of opening up the entire draft. I would, though, be in favor of taking away the "only 1 steal per round". I know it's rare, but I feel like if there are 2+ players who someone would steal, they should be able to do so.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

I guess I wouldn't necessarily agree with that conclusion. I can see where you could jump either way with it, though. I think to really make a final decision, we need to wait until the playoff round is over -- because it seems to me the true benefit of opening up the entire class for drafting will come in the third round when the playoff teams would have access to better choices than the dregs of the Top 32.

Which sounds funny when I read that back to myself, but yet seems to be true.
redcped

Post by redcped »

My quick two cents:

The current system favors the worst teams because they get the best of the "not top 32" in round 3, and the playoff teams get what is generally not a very appetizing set of choices in their R1-R2 picks.

The only counterweight is the single steal, which can only be done by a lottery team (in theory a playoff team might have someone else's top 2 picks and do this, but that's rare). The common sense thinking is that a steal is more often than not an older player who dropped because of age not skill and therefore more appealing to a team on the cusp, which is usually a later pick in R1.

But it does rob that team because the compensation of the steal rarely matches the value of the player stolen, so doing it more than once doesn't seem like a great idea to me. If we want to allow lottery teams to take more guys outside the top 32, opening the whole class up is the way to do it.

Return to “Tony Conigliaro League”