The Amateur Draft explained (from old MB)

Discussions for the Tony Conigliaro League.

Moderator: redcped

redcped

The Amateur Draft explained (from old MB)

Post by redcped »

The amateur draft, explained

April 24, 2011 at 04:28AM View BBCode

Amateur draft:
1st two rds will be a message board draft. As follows: Each owner must leave their settings as follows:

Pitcher settings must be as follows:

Velocity 20
Control 25
Endurance 5
Throws left 0
Throws Right 1
Youth 45
Health 2
Arm 1
Range 1

Batter settings must be as follows:

Power vs R 10
Power vs L 7
Speed 9
Contact vs R 10
Contact vs L 7
Youth 45
Health 2
Arm 5
Range 5

All ten positions must be set on 10 each.

ABE will then run the draft. All the players chosen in the first two rounds, should be traded to the owner that draft each.

The order of selection for the 12 non-playoff teams will be randomly decided
with a weighted system. 14-16th place will have a 5% chance of acquiring the #1 draft pick, but can end up no worse than picking #3, 4 or 5. 12-13th place will have a 10% chance of acquiring the first pick, and can fall no farther than 6-7th spots. 10th-11th place will have a 15% chance of acquiring the top spot and can fall no further than 8-9th spots. 8-9th place will have a 10% chance of grabbing the big prize and can fall as low as the 10-11th spots. 5-7th place have a 5% chance for 1st pick and can easily crash to the 12th pick.

Example #1

Team that finished in 11th place wins #1 draft pick. Therefore the 1st RD order would be as follows: 11th place/10th place /16th place /15th / 14th / 13 / 12 / 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5. As you can see the team picking second, will be the team that finished just ahead of the winner of the #1 draft pick. The rest of the order reverts back to a reverse order of finish.

Example #2

Team that finished 14th wins #1 pick. Therefore order would be: 14/13/16/15/12/11/10/9/8/7/6/5

The first 24 picks will belong to the 12 non-playoff teams. Picks 13-24 will repeat the order of picks 1-12. To increase parity and help rebuilding. Picks 25-32 will belong to the four playoff teams. Team that lost LCS and whose league lost WS will pick 25 & 26. Team that lost the other LCS will pick 27 & 28. WS loser will pick 29 & 30. WS winner will get the two remaining players.

If a owner fails to show up for his time slot, he is awared the highest ABE rated player on the board. However, the team behind them can take that player if they want. Thus the owner missing his time slot would potentially drop to the second highest player on the board (worst case scenario). And only if the team behind you selects the player in question.

The 3-5 rds will be done using the regular preference format with ABE
selecting for us.

During the message board draft one owner may use a 1st rd (meaning a 1-12) draft pick to take a player from the 3rd-5th rd draft choices. The team losing that player will be awarded the drafting teams' second round pick (meaning a 13-24). Once, one team has used this during the draft it is no longer available to anyone else as an option.

I wanted to repost this for the new owners and add a few bits of explanation as well.

Those of us who have been doing this a while might take it for granted, but it is a bit complicated at first.

The most important thing is for each owner to change their amateur draft settings to match the above. Then you have to resubmit by hitting Update Rankings. Your top 32 players must match the top 32 that I posted in another thread and just bumped. Because my list was done right after the unveiling of the class and some players have gotten a year older since then, it is likely your list will need to be adjusted.

Once your top 32 is set to match the rest of the league, you can rank the remaining 68 players however you choose. We are going to redraft the top 32 on the boards but you keep who you draft in rounds 3-5.

A few notes on the message board draft ...

I will post a thread for proxy picks. It is highly recommended that if you think you might not be around when your pick comes up that you post something in that thread.

Pick deadlines come every hour, using the time on the boards here, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern. Be sure to read all the picks ahead of yours carefully so you don't take someone who has already been taken. You might end up being assigned a draftee if you do. Although I usually try to update the draft list in the thread often, do not rely on that to tell you who is available. Keep track yourself.

If you miss your spot and did not post a proxy, you will be assigned the best available player in ranking order. However, an assigned player can be claimed by the next drafting team and replaced with the next highest ranked player. This can only happen once at each draft position.

Here's an example ...

Team X drafting 3rd fails to post a pick or proxy and is assigned Player A, who is ranked 3rd

Team Y drafting 4th wants Player A and selects him. Team X is now assigned Player B, who is ranked 4th.

Team Z drafting 5th had posted a proxy for Player B. Tough luck. Team X can only lose out once in this way.

Any owner can keep the draft moving by assigning players or posting a selection from a proxy pick. But please check the proxy thread carefully and read through the whole draft carefully, too. It's not easy to fix if a player is assigned incorrectly.

Questions?

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by redcped]

[Edited on 3-2-2017 by redcped]
redcped

April 24, 2011 at 04:35AM View BBCode
Let me also explain the final rule above, the "steal a player" clause.

Once in the 1st round of any draft (and it happens infrequently anyway), an owner in possession of a set of 1st and 2nd round picks (it doesn't have to be his own, but they must be picks in the top 24, not the playoff round) can decide that someone drafted 33rd or higher is more appealing to him than anyone in the top 32.

At this point, this Owner A forfeits his 1st-round pick (pick 1-12) and his second-round pick (13-24) to select the player ranked outside the top 32.

The draft continues with the next team picking, and the owner who had his player "stolen" receives as compensation Owner A's 2nd-round pick (13-24) as well as the 32nd and final player in the message-board draft.

Obviously it takes a distinctly unusual situation for an owner to decide that no player available in the 1st round is more appealing than someone ranked 20-some spots lower. But it happens every 7-8 seasons that someone will pull this trigger.
redcped

December 05, 2012 at 06:30AM View BBCode
I think one more thing came up that requires explanation.

We don't reorder the draft order based on the lottery. So if you finish with the worst record, you get the 33rd pick to start Round 3. We leave ABE's order there as is.

With expansion this year moving teams around, it might look a little odd. ABE gave me the 13th pick even though I was right behind Washington (picking 7th) in the lottery, because the expansion teams filled the spots in the middle.
Ridge

April 18, 2013 at 12:20PM View BBCode
Just a quick glance. Mine does not match again and I re-checked to make sure my settings are set properly.
Just looking at my first 10 and not one is where they should be!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hit the update and it did not change to be correct

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by Ridge]
Baskets

April 18, 2013 at 01:12PM View BBCode
I think it always worth repeating that the "Update Rankings" tab underneath the draft settings will reorder list according to those settings which may be different than Jason's official list due to age changes whereas the "Update Draft Ranking" tabs on the list simply submit the changes in rankings you have entered leaving the top 32 intact.
redcped

April 18, 2013 at 03:13PM View BBCode
Something to check first:

Go to "Edit Profile"

At the bottom find the setting for "Default Amateur Draft Rankings"

Make sure this is set to: "Use My Attribute Settings"

This could be responsible for the discrepancy.
Ridge

April 19, 2013 at 05:10PM View BBCode
Just tried the profile change and nothing changed or will it not change until next season?
redcped

April 19, 2013 at 08:24PM View BBCode
Probably not until next season.
redcped

March 12, 2015 at 03:51AM View BBCode

Originally posted by redcped
Let me also explain the final rule above, the "steal a player" clause.

Once in the 1st round of any draft (and it happens infrequently anyway), an owner in possession of a set of 1st and 2nd round picks (it doesn't have to be his own, but they must be picks in the top 24, not the playoff round) can decide that someone drafted 33rd or higher is more appealing to him than anyone in the top 32.

At this point, this Owner A forfeits his 1st-round pick (pick 1-12) and his second-round pick (13-24) to select the player ranked outside the top 32.

The draft continues with the next team picking, and the owner who had his player "stolen" receives as compensation Owner A's 2nd-round pick (13-24) as well as the 32nd and final player in the message-board draft.

Obviously it takes a distinctly unusual situation for an owner to decide that no player available in the 1st round is more appealing than someone ranked 20-some spots lower. But it happens every 7-8 seasons that someone will pull this trigger.

I think I ought to clarify this rule further even though I think the language is pretty good. A "set of 1st and 2nd round picks" does not mean any two picks. A set means things that go together, so it means in this case the corresponding picks, as in 1 and 13, 2 and 14, 3 and 15, etc.

The one exception we have made is if the owner only has a better 2nd round pick and not the corresponding one, he can forfeit that one instead.

Example 1:
You could use the 10th and 16th picks if you had the 16th but not the 22nd.

Example 2:
You cannot use the 6th and 24th picks if you don't have the 18th (or better).
KLKRTR

May 07, 2016 at 03:00AM View BBCode
Question: should we be using these rankings for the expansion draft throughout, or are we allowed to rank the players as we like them?
DVfhsindians058

May 07, 2016 at 03:36AM View BBCode
The top 32 should go according to rankings. We always post a top 32 list to make sure everyone is on the same page. After that predetermined top 32, you can rank anyone outside of that top 32 as you like. Does that make sense?

Also quick side disclaimer we are long overdue for an overhaul of how we value that top 32 and that reform could be coming at some point soon possibly. Unless it has already? Has it?
redcped

May 07, 2016 at 04:12AM View BBCode

Originally posted by KLKRTR
Question: should we be using these rankings for the expansion draft throughout, or are we allowed to rank the players as we like them?

You can rank Expansion draft any way you like.

The top 32 is for the annual amateur draft only.
redcped

May 07, 2016 at 04:13AM View BBCode

Originally posted by DVfhsindians058
The top 32 should go according to rankings. We always post a top 32 list to make sure everyone is on the same page. After that predetermined top 32, you can rank anyone outside of that top 32 as you like. Does that make sense?

Also quick side disclaimer we are long overdue for an overhaul of how we value that top 32 and that reform could be coming at some point soon possibly. Unless it has already? Has it?

Not yet. We discussed it but didn't go anywhere with it.
DVfhsindians058

May 07, 2016 at 05:10AM View BBCode
KLK - sorry I was confused between expansion and lottery. My bad. Listen to Jason. I don't read good.

Jason - let's make sure we get the draft rankings updated. It will make it better.
Taproot78

March 02, 2017 at 08:51PM View BBCode
As the Expansion Draft is tomorrow @ 2pm I believe, am I allowed to change the auto ranking values or do they have to match this for Expansion Draft as well?

Referring to this:

Amateur draft:
1st two rds will be a message board draft. As follows: Each owner must leave their settings as follows:

Pitcher settings must be as follows:

Velocity 20
Control 25
Endurance 5
Throws left 0
Throws Right 1
Youth 45
Health 2
Arm 1
Range 1

Batter settings must be as follows:

Power vs R 10
Power vs L 7
Speed 9
Contact vs R 10
Contact vs L 7
Youth 45
Health 2
Arm 5
Range 5
Baskets

March 02, 2017 at 10:24PM View BBCode
Expansion is your own thing, do and arrange as you wish. Amateur draft has to have those settings or else your top 32 will differ and that will be very bad. Arrange players out of the top 32 as you wish but top 32 must match everyone elses. It's not easy to understand from the beginning, I recall my first draft I thought other owners were trying to hoodwink me. It'll become clearer as you go on. But trust me, just make sure the top 32 in the amateur draft match and everything will be ok. :)
redcped

March 03, 2017 at 04:17AM View BBCode
To confirm and simplify:

Expansion draft - do whatever you want

Amateur draft top 32 - please rank in order listed in draft thread and on Google Doc

Amateur draft 33-100 - do whatever you want
redcped

Re: The Amateur Draft explained (from old MB)

Post by redcped »

bump
redcped

Post by redcped »

bump
redcped

Post by redcped »

Bump
redcped

Post by redcped »

bump for the new owners.
redcped

Post by redcped »

Adding this for clarification on the Steal Rule:

A clarification on the R1 and R2 picks. The R2 pick has to be the same or better spot in the round as the R1 pick, too. This rarely has even come up, since teams usually use their own pick that's the same in both rounds.

But for clarity, look at these examples:

Team X has the 3rd pick in R1 and 3rd pick in R2 and uses the steal. No problem.
Team X has the 8th pick in R1 and 3rd pick in R2 and uses the steal. No problem.
Team X has the 3rd pick in R1 and 8th pick in R2. Cannot use the steal.

Return to “Tony Conigliaro League”