October 2018 football changes installed

Owner to Owner help and advice
Admin
Site Admin

October 2018 football changes installed

Post by Admin »

Changes have been made to the football simulation. Please check this list carefully as it may affect your gameplay, especially if you play out of position at Center.

- Fixed fumble in end zone bug.
This is the bug where the game reports a fumble in the endzone, but the ball has already broken the plane so it is already a touchdown. I've though I killed it before, but this time I really really did. Really. I think.

- Fixed bug allowing extra plays in OT after the game should end.
The new OT had a bug where in two very specific instances, it would allow overtime to go on longer than it should as it was not properly detecting the end of game conditions. This has been fixed.

- Changed last second OT kick strategy to only apply when both teams have had a possession and are still tied.
Another side effect of the new OT is that last second kicks in OT on other than fourth down are no longer a good idea if it is the first possession. The sim will now use regular rules until sudden death is in effect after both teams have had a possession.

- Added old forum links to menu, and split Commish menu to a separate menu
This change has actually been up for a bit, but the old message boards and your old U2U boxes are now available.

- Tally added for winless seasons, total seasons, and postseason wins/losses
The game has always tracked regular season win/loss records (separately for single season and Premium); starting today it will also track postseason records. Look for an owner card page soon to actually display this information.

- Added rule to leave a timeout on defense.
In some circumstances, the defense may blow through all its timeouts early. It will now save the final timeout for late in the half. A rule to control this is now on your Time Management strategy page.

- Altered DT development curves to concentrate more on Run Cover
DTs were not growing enough in Run Cover; this has been adjusted.

- Reduced carryover fatigue slightly for receivers
If a receiver is "overused" he will start the next game with low Conditioning. This change adjusts the average targets criteria to reduce this carry-over fatigue.

- Center's Execution counts double when calculating O-line protection
The Center has not been as important to the game as it should be, to the point where people are just sticking their best lineman in that slot. The Center is responsible for reading the defense, and as such his Execution now counts double toward the O-line's blitz containment rating. By extension this means that an out of position player at Center is also getting his out of position penalty doubled.

- Out of position penalty for Guard playing at Center changed from MINOR to MODERATE.
Again, this change helps keep the importance of Centers by making it a little less effective to play out of position.

NOTE: Failed snaps are coming in the next update, so if you have dropped your Centers in favor of just the best blockers, it is time to get one back in your active roster.
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: October 2018 football changes installed

Post by Admin »

What's next?

- An overhaul of fumbles. I've found some really good data on fumbles that I plan to integrate, and bring all of the various fumble types into one place. This means fumbles will start to happen after catches and on snaps.

- League contraction
If a league has several teams on the sale list for more than 30 days (as of Week 1 of the season), the league will contract. Teams will be removed from the sale list and marked for contraction, and the best players on those teams will be added to a Dispersal Draft, to be held before the College Draft. The remaining players on the contracting teams will retire. This process will be completely automatic; if a league does not want to be subject to automatic contraction, I can disable it for that league. No history will be lost in the contraction process. In the future, expansions will happen in a similar manner: teams will be made available and an Expansion Draft held to increase the league size.

- Player position changes
This will require a whole separate post of its own.

- Salary Changes
The salary model will be made more realistic, and empty slots on the roster will charge the rookie minimum against your cap (so there is no longer a benefit to leaving roster holes to stay under cap). These changes will make the cap more of a factor; for Premium leagues the cap can be adjusted if needed.

- Free Agency
I am sketching out a possible Free Agency system. I'm still not sure about this one.

- Owner cards
Owners will have a profile card where their records can be seen.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Ironmen

Post by Ironmen »

I see you're online, so I'll ask again, since you won't reply again to my ticket #8166.

Referring back to the answer you sent me on ticket #8166 that I submitted:

I am a long-time owner/player on your football SIM.

Why have you chosen to decree me as being "ineligible" to be appointed commissioner in a
premium league that has 11 unpaid/dead teams and that has a commissioner who hasn't logged onto
his team in that league since Jan. 13, 2018- 9 months ago?

I requested to be appointed as its commissioner to post all the dead teams for sale, since there's clearly
is no active commissioner to do so and to try straighten out all the dead rosters, most of which have
only 40 active players and top draft choices permanently buried on the inactive roster.

You also stated you'll find a commissioner for that league.
How do you propose to do this?
max_fischer

Post by max_fischer »

These changes are great, Chris! Thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Ironmen wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 pm I see you're online, so I'll ask again, since you won't reply again to my ticket #8166.

Referring back to the answer you sent me on ticket #8166 that I submitted:

I am a long-time owner/player on your football SIM.

Why have you chosen to decree me as being "ineligible" to be appointed commissioner in a
premium league that has 11 unpaid/dead teams and that has a commissioner who hasn't logged onto
his team in that league since Jan. 13, 2018- 9 months ago?

I requested to be appointed as its commissioner to post all the dead teams for sale, since there's clearly
is no active commissioner to do so and to try straighten out all the dead rosters, most of which have
only 40 active players and top draft choices permanently buried on the inactive roster.

You also stated you'll find a commissioner for that league.
How do you propose to do this?
You are ineligible because we have had issues with you in the past, and we don't give Commish powers to people we have had issues with.

I am working to get a feature online that will clean up all the football leagues. I'm about to make a new post on that.

Chris
Cueball899

Post by Cueball899 »

I like the new changes and I'm glad we are seeing some changes and getting some updates on the football side. The updates are much needed.

Can I please get an answer on tackle stats?
3-4 defense?
More offensive formations?
Live drafts?

Could you even add resigning players? Not automatic, but actually have to resign them. They could holdout for more money based on attitude, ego, skill, and team.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Cueball899 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:55 am I like the new changes and I'm glad we are seeing some changes and getting some updates on the football side. The updates are much needed.

Can I please get an answer on tackle stats?
3-4 defense?
More offensive formations?
Live drafts?

Could you even add resigning players? Not automatic, but actually have to resign them. They could holdout for more money based on attitude, ego, skill, and team.
Live drafts are first on that list. Some sort of contract additions are possible but I don't know if that will go as deep as you are looking for with holdouts. Hang out in the Football Beta forum (or request a free Beta team (okay it's up to Zeta in there now (all my test leagues are Greek letters so I don't confuse them with live leagues))) so you can jump in when I start sketching that out.

As far as the other three: They will come in the nebulous "next update". Which is breaking the code into smaller, more organized sections so I can get these other things in. Right now it uses a probability matrix that was created and tuned by hand but as you can imagine that quickly gets unwieldy to the point where one new formation has more code than all the others put together. It's also the reason somethings happen too often and others never happen.

So what it will end up is being a few different simulations: an offensive line simulation,a pocket simulation, a run simulation, a pass simulation, and a fumble simulation (same as the way kicking is a self-contained simulation now).

(Last time I put tackle stats in we got wildly inaccurate numbers. Probability matrixes aren't good for deciding exactly who does what as they are more concerned with the end result; long time baseball sim players remember that the baseball side had the exact same issue early on.)

Speaking of which, updates are coming for the baseball sim too. Working on the core of both games at once was not my best plan; I've forgotten what sleep is.

Chris

Return to “Football Game Questions”