Where did passes into the end zone go?

Owner to Owner help and advice
blakjakshalak

Where did passes into the end zone go?

Post by blakjakshalak »

Chris,
I've noticed recently that no one ever catches a pass in the end zone anymore. At first I thought it was my imagination but I've been looking at this for the past few weeks, dozens of games, and it's true, the end zone catch has disappeared. Even in short yardage on the goal line, the pass will be thrown short of the end zone. I'm just wondering if any of the recent changes has effected this?
FHFL
Philadelphia Federalists - 1124/668/2 (0.628)
42 DC
13 CC
10 SBC

CLFL
Edmonton Frostbite - 661/267/2 (0.714)
43 DC
23 CC
14 SBC
shbo2

Re: Where did passes into the end zone go?

Post by shbo2 »

Something is messed up. I did some checking of box scores and I can't find a single pass thrown into the endzone. I've seen a few passes from plays starting inside the 2-3 yard line thrown behind the line of scrimmage on non screen calls which is rare.
tigershm1977

Post by tigershm1977 »

i feel silly for not noticing that myself, yeah i thought it was wierd i had some negative comp inside the 2 yard line, but now it makes sense
New England Whisperers
MAFL
384-192
18 DC
5 CC
3 SC
and a partridge in a pear tree
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There have been no changes to the passing code in a while. luminafire was asking me why his players were having little success passing near the end zone, and then shbo2 messaged me with a similar concern. So I queried the database. In the current games available on the server there are tens of thousands of passes into the end zone.

Before October 12th.

After October 12th, there are exactly 0. I counted them twice.

No changes were made in the October update in the passing area. But every now and then, you'll see a "butterfly effect" where a change made in one area affects a completely different area.

How does something like this happen? In programming, all of the data is stored in variables. These variables have a scope, meaning they live and die in a certain section of code. Ideally, you want variables to have the smallest scope possible.

There was a patch to the code in the last update that was meant to fix the "fumble in the end zone" bug. This was the only in-game change made (other changes involved strategies and overtime handling, but that's a different chunk of code). Although I haven't confirmed it yet, I suspect a variable had a larger scope than it should have had and affected the passing code as well.

One of the projects I am currently working on is refactoring the game code into smaller, better organized chunks. Ideally, each chunk of code should handle one thing. Unfortunately, I have a chunk of code that handles "scrimmage" which just encompasses too much.

I've removed the suspect section of code. Normally I'd put the change through Beta first but with the magnitude of this bug I want it in place ASAP. So tomorrow's games will be played with the patched code.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
blakjakshalak

Post by blakjakshalak »

I looked at the 1st quarter of the leagues I am in and I saw two passes into the end zone already. So it looks like that's it.
FHFL
Philadelphia Federalists - 1124/668/2 (0.628)
42 DC
13 CC
10 SBC

CLFL
Edmonton Frostbite - 661/267/2 (0.714)
43 DC
23 CC
14 SBC

Return to “Football Game Questions”