Abuse of trade protest

Discussions for the Wally Berger League.

Moderators: WillyD, pecker247

WillyD

Abuse of trade protest

Post by WillyD »

OK guys, whoever is protesting the latest STL/MIL trade is abusing the system. The first deal was fine IMO and should never have been protested let alone reversed. The 2nd one getting protested is a complete farce!

Pecker actually gave up more than he should have to (probably to make a point). Erdos is a very good pitcher with a lot of good years left, and will be an excellent mentor to boot (I actually offered 2 first rounders for him myself). Throwing in a solid vet hitter, decent hitting prospect and a 2nd round pick, for 2 first rounders that won't be top picks because MIL is getting better and some of the other teams like MON, CIN, and HOU are getting worse, should have ended any complaints. Picks are not guaranteed assets either. Odds are one of them won't get that great of a prospect, and one will. If that happens he's just replaced Erdos and that's it. Does that seem fair? That's less than the cost of drafting and developing a very good pitcher.
bobcat73

Re: Abuse of trade protest

Post by bobcat73 »

so you offered him 2 first round picks and he passed? So he could give up more? I am confused. Why would anyone do that?
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

bobcat73 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:54 pm so you offered him 2 first round picks and he passed? So he could give up more? I am confused. Why would anyone do that?
Obviously. My picks are likely to be playoff or close to playoff picks. We all know MIL's won't be playoff picks. Which deal would you take?
pecker247

Post by pecker247 »

He offered 2 firsts and I sat on the trade. Thinking that Boston may be a little better than Milwaukee I took the gamble with Milwaukee instead. Essentially I am gambling that Milwaukees pick will be better than Bostons, but with the changes happening on both sides its anyones guess. I did overpay. I am well aware of that and purposely over paid more on the second trade to make a point. My point is getting proven. Does not matter who wins or loses the trade. Only matters if certain owners are involved. It's fine. Its something I have grown to love about this league. Since the league cant be fair or impartial I guess we need to put every trade up for a vote. I think that would lead to owners leaving and it would make it harder to replace owners with good owners but it is what it is. I win either way. It's not like I would be weakened either way. My Japanese phenom was my MVP in the playoffs last year so having him back wouldn't kill me.
bobcat73

Post by bobcat73 »

That's some gamble. He only lost 100 games for 7 straight years so it seems like a huge risk your running. The only good player on the roster looks like it might be the one pick that was kept.
My point is the league has used protest to attempt to save owners from themselves for a long while. If you want every trade to be voted on then protest them. If the owners here have stuck through the Bawston spam and the forum fights I doubt trade votes will drive them off.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Bobcat, you can argue MIL shouldn't be trading for vets, and should be re-building, and I'd agree. But this trade is more than fair in terms of value. He could easily flip Erdos and some of his other A- players for some picks and prospects. He won't do that, because well, he's MIL.
2ndCos

Post by 2ndCos »

Well unfortunately Pecker is in the same position that bawston was in for years. he has a surplus of assets thanks to owners like me. He is in a position of comfort and power. his team is young he has a surplus of early picks. he can trade away the lesser of his team that to other teams are upgrades and further build assets. he can afford to over pay. i (we) owners helped put him in this position. if you like the league you will ride the storm of him dominating and eventually if he does not continue acquiring more assets his run will diminish. It takes two people to make a trade. Thankfully I have my #1 pick this year and into the future. I will not contribute to the problem any more, those that do will perpetuate the issue. Good luck to all of us going forward. Kevin
pecker247

Post by pecker247 »

I have been very lucky with improvements with some players. Some players improved more than I thought they would. Of course others did not. The picks I have had over the years haven't really helped me that much considering the drafts we have had. Due to the poor drafts it's caused me to lose more trades, but that is what a trade is. It's a gamble. I have not been on the great side of trades due to poor drafts, but on development I have gotten lucky. It happens. We have played this song before. We have beat this drum before. While we are at it just impeach the president if you don't like him. This goes way beyond me. This is about the viability of this league. If two teams can't make a trade and each party agree to the terms and even outside sources agree it's fine then it should never be protested let alone reversed. It's a dangerous road we keep going down and we have lost some good owners in the process. Some I am glad we lost, but it's not easy finding replacements and drama like this is going to make it impossible in the future.
pecker247

Post by pecker247 »

2ndCos wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:11 am Well unfortunately Pecker is in the same position that bawston was in for years. he has a surplus of assets thanks to owners like me. He is in a position of comfort and power. his team is young he has a surplus of early picks. he can trade away the lesser of his team that to other teams are upgrades and further build assets. he can afford to over pay. i (we) owners helped put him in this position. if you like the league you will ride the storm of him dominating and eventually if he does not continue acquiring more assets his run will diminish. It takes two people to make a trade. Thankfully I have my #1 pick this year and into the future. I will not contribute to the problem any more, those that do will perpetuate the issue. Good luck to all of us going forward. Kevin

You know I did go through a rebuild... You should have many picks and young assets when you rebuild. I just came out of my rebuild therefore my players are still young. You shouldn't be upset with me because I had a successful rebuild. Might I add that Andy Littrell had a 2.80 ERA for you last year. That's incredible considering where you finished. May I also add that Slash Seaton is developing into a great young pitcher.
bahstonwedsawks

Post by bahstonwedsawks »

Just FYI, I'm not (and haven't) voting on any trades this year and next. For the record I think the trades are fine, but it doesn't seem right to vote on deals with long-term league consequences when I have one foot out the door.

Thanks to those asking about my draft picks. I'm not trading picks for years 2048 and beyond. It's strange an owner can trade picks for years they're not signed up for, but I'm not doing it.

I'll remain active my final two years in terms of making trade offers, but there will be times I don't adjust my lineups during the day, or maybe not even check the site for a day or two here and there. I'll do enough to hopefully win 136 games combined this year and next to get a .6800 winning percentage for my career (and avoid any 100-loss seasons for my career, don't want that nastiness on my owner card), but that's about it. If I don't respond quickly to a trade offer or private message know I'm not ignoring you, just not checking in as frequently. Thanks!
#1 Overall Owner All-Time in these categories:
Championships Pct (72%)
Winning Pct (68.73%)
Prestige Avg (24.67/yr)
WS Apprncs Pct (76%)
Playoff Apprncs Pct (96%)
http://simdynasty.com/ownerleaders.jsp? ... &submit=Go

Return to “Wally Berger League”