Any Suggested Rule CHanges and HOF Admin

Discussions for the Wally Berger League.

Moderators: WillyD, pecker247

Johngarm70u

Re: Any Suggested Rule CHanges and HOF Admin

Post by Johngarm70u »

I am not an expert as you know and am not trying to eliminate tanking. I gave a suggestion when asked. You dont like it. Gotcha. You dont like the word tanking. I can always say getting the best draft picks by not worrying about winning if that helps any? I am.not above it. I dont see it as an issue as it is what happens on the site. If you want an example below is one.

Consecutative seasons

33-129 1st pick in the draft
43-119 1st pick in the draft
46-116 1st pick in the draft
43-119 2nd pick in the draft
53-109 Tied for 2nd worse in the league

That's what I call not worrying about winning to get the best draft picks available. In my scenerio that team wouldn't have gotten the 1st pick in the draft. They also wouldn't be as dominate as they are now, probably. That's all. It's not a big deal but I do enjoy the 55 win rule in another league I am in. I am aware you dont like my team. You told me when telling me how much I screwed up and didnt take your deal.
My expert opinion.
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

To clarify. My team is the worse in the division. I am more worried about getting the best improves and having mentors then winning a playoff spot. While not actively tanking a good pick would be nice. I am saying that's how others go about it as well. The best who play the game, from what I can tell. I just think it would add a wrinkle of fun but I will drop it if we have so many hard no votes.
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

pecker247 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 am I have said this many times, but if you want to be successful in a simulated baseball game then adhere to the 4 rule. You either want to be in the top 4 or the bottom 4 and never in between. When you rebuild a team and you do it correctly then you are going to be in the bottom 4 for a while. If you are consistently in the middle 8 then you either didn't rebuild fully or you started going for it too soon. Just like real baseball teams rebuild and when they do they are usually at the bottom of the rankings so they can get a better draft pick. The only difference is that real money is involved so certain teams can buy their way out of it, but we don't have that option in this league. I firmly believe that rebuilding is a crucial part of winning on this site. A winning strategy is to rebuild for 5-6 years and then go for it for 15 years then rinse and repeat. Sometimes it only takes 4 years to rebuild, but what a lot of owners do is only rebuild for 3 or 4 years and go for it too early. It also depends on the competition, draft results, trading etc. So many moving parts. I wouldn't be interested in a wheel draft or a penalty for winning less than 50 games, but I would listen to a lottery system.
Next time I make a suggestion on this site I will have you write it. Well said!
chance4103

Post by chance4103 »

I think Lottery Draft for non-play-off teams et no win/loss penalty would be interesting twist.
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

chance4103 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:38 pm I think Lottery Draft for non-play-off teams et no win/loss penalty would be interesting twist.
I would vote yes for this as well.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Johngarm70u wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:20 pm I am not an expert as you know and am not trying to eliminate tanking. I gave a suggestion when asked. You dont like it. Gotcha. You dont like the word tanking. I can always say getting the best draft picks by not worrying about winning if that helps any? I am.not above it. I dont see it as an issue as it is what happens on the site. If you want an example below is one.

Consecutative seasons

33-129 1st pick in the draft
43-119 1st pick in the draft
46-116 1st pick in the draft
43-119 2nd pick in the draft
53-109 Tied for 2nd worse in the league

That's what I call not worrying about winning to get the best draft picks available. In my scenerio that team wouldn't have gotten the 1st pick in the draft. They also wouldn't be as dominate as they are now, probably. That's all. It's not a big deal but I do enjoy the 55 win rule in another league I am in. I am aware you dont like my team. You told me when telling me how much I screwed up and didnt take your deal.
My expert opinion.
You called me out from the beginning, and now again by using my record from my first 5 rebuild years. So just to be clear, you're not trying to stop tanking, just proposing a rule that would allegedly hurt me (the tanker), but then state in a latter post that you only care about improves and having good mentors, while in last place and on pace to win less than 54 games?

Anyways, in the draft pick penalty scenario, I would've adapted and won more than 54 games in most of those years and still likely had the #1 or #2 pick. Sorry, your ideas are completely flawed. Also, I've had top 8 ranked players fall to me in the 2nd round on multiple occasions because so many of you can't draft worth a crap, so I've wound up with prospects I can't develop in some cases while the newbs draft 21 or 22 year old B- overall pieces of garbage that never develop either. If you don't want super teams, the rest of you need to start drafting better, stop making stupid trades, and start developing your prospects better. I see a lot of mistakes being made. I should go back and evaluate the last 20 drafts or so. Some of you would be very embarrassed by the results!

I'll say it again just to remind you, I'm not mad about the deals you did or didn't accept. Yes, you screwed up, because if you had kept your team together like I originally said, you'd be in the playoffs now. All you had to do was add a couple players. I tried to give you some advice, and you didn't take it. That's perfectly fine. Hopefully you learn, and develop a very good team, because this league really needs it. Half of the owners in here are beginners who think they're experienced. They're not even at an intermediate level, and some are not even close!
pecker247

Post by pecker247 »

I wish this league was more vocal. So quiet :lol:
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

Johngarm70u wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 pm I would be down for the 55 win minimum rule. If you dont reach at least 55 wins in a season you go up 5 places in the standings.
My original post until asked to clarify. You were wrong in what I interpreted as a response and clarified using your team as an example. Sorry that embarrassed you or made you upset. Your recollection of this post and our correspondence is wrong. You mentioned going for it way after we started talking about trading and the "help" began. I am military. I (wrongly in this case) treat others how they treat people because i feel that's how they like it. You have no issue calling other people out or telling them they screwed up. I assumed you liked and could take the same. You cant. Got it. Here os the deal. You benefited from low draft picks to get a good team. You also dont like it being pointed out even though you pointedly asked my expert opinion. Glad you did other things to do u.prove your team. You think most other teams here are idiots, including myself. I look forward to proving you wrong.

Let me just 100% clarify my opinion of WillyD. I am not in favor of any rule limiting you. I dont see you as any different than most players on those site. You do what a lot do successfully. I see nothing unique about your strategy of winning. You just have the time and have been doing it longer.
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

pecker247 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:30 pm I wish this league was more vocal. So quiet :lol:
I will try to be more vocal in the future. 👍
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Johngarm70u wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:35 pm
Johngarm70u wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 pm I would be down for the 55 win minimum rule. If you dont reach at least 55 wins in a season you go up 5 places in the standings.
My original post until asked to clarify. You were wrong in what I interpreted as a response and clarified using your team as an example. Sorry that embarrassed you or made you upset. Your recollection of this post and our correspondence is wrong. You mentioned going for it way after we started talking about trading and the "help" began. I am military. I (wrongly in this case) treat others how they treat people because i feel that's how they like it. You have no issue calling other people out or telling them they screwed up. I assumed you liked and could take the same. You cant. Got it. Here os the deal. You benefited from low draft picks to get a good team. You also dont like it being pointed out even though you pointedly asked my expert opinion. Glad you did other things to do u.prove your team. You think most other teams here are idiots, including myself. I look forward to proving you wrong.

Let me just 100% clarify my opinion of WillyD. I am not in favor of any rule limiting you. I dont see you as any different than most players on those site. You do what a lot do successfully. I see nothing unique about your strategy of winning. You just have the time and have been doing it longer.
What a tool.

How do you know what I don't like or don't like? I'm not hiding anything, but you're intentionally trying to jab at me, and I'm calling you out for being a troll. Nothing you say hurts or embarrasses me in the slightest. It's a Sim baseball site!!! LOL

So now my memory is bad? I'll tell you, it's very good, exceptional actually. I mentioned going for it before you sold off. I mentioned it again after you did, but it was said before. That's a fact.

You think being in the Army makes you mentally tough? Try the Marines Johnny boy! Marines can join the Army without going to your boot camp, but you'd have to go thru USMC boot camp, because it weeds out the snowflakes.

Return to “Wally Berger League”