What everyone think

Discussions for the Wally Berger League.

Moderators: WillyD, pecker247

Soggy

Re: What everyone think

Post by Soggy »

I do not think it is a weighted lottery (like the NBA). What is the goal for going to a lottery in the first place? If it is to prevent tanking, I do not think doing a bottom 4 lottery will accomplish that. If we want to change, it should be a wheel draft for the entire league or leave it as is now.
pecker247

Post by pecker247 »

My goal isn't to prevent tanking. I encourage tanking when you are rebuilding because that's really the main way to build a dynasty. I think it would allow more teams to go for it more often if the 5th through 16 teams had a chance to get a better pick. For example if you are half way through the season and you are 15 games out then you may be tempted to pack up shop and try to lose to get a better draft pick. If you knew that you may get a better draft pick anyway then you would be encouraged to keep trying. It would not prevent the lower teams from losing as they would want to be in the bottom 4. Those teams at the bottom are going to be at the bottom regardless if they are rebuilding.

Sounds like the league wants everything to stay the same. I am cool with that. If it were like the NBA lottery then I think that would be cool, but doesn't sound like that's an option.
2ndCos

Post by 2ndCos »

We run it in the Cool Papa Bell League. It is an anti tanking device. top three picks are up for grabs. usually works out close for the bottom three teams, this last draft the top thirteenth team got number three pick. Rare occurrence but it happened.Also if there is a tie for records the team that has performed better get the better slot as they are competing. our system is a lottery based off of this viewtopic.php?f=112&t=323
pecker247

Post by pecker247 »

Love it.
jmckeean

Post by jmckeean »

no
Soggy

Post by Soggy »

I still don't see it. People will still tank to get a top three pick. The wheel draft is a much more effective deterrent for tanking.
2ndCos

Post by 2ndCos »

I am in the billy williams league that has the wheel draft also and dont see the tanking much there as it doesn't help. both do work.
chance4103

Post by chance4103 »

My suggestion was not to prevent tanking it was just to make it more interesting.
The bottom 4 teams only have a chance for top 4 picks. The remaining 8 non-play-off teams have a chance for the 5th thur 1 pick. I think this would help the that finish 5th thur 12 place.
Soggy

Post by Soggy »

Ok... my final 2 cents on all of this

1. I am not in favor of making any changes
2. If we want to stop tanking. The wheel draft for the entire league will do that
3. Creating a lottery for the bottom 4 picks will create a little drama...but the extra work for Maze each season & the uncertainty for potential trade partners outweigh the thrill of the draft lottery.

Maze can we bring this to a vote please?

1. Do we want to change the current draft system Y/N
2. If Yes... then do we want a lottery or wheel draft

Thanks. Soggy
Below is an example of how the wheel draft works. Each team gets a top 4 pick every 4 years
wheel draft.JPG
(40.9 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
chance4103

Post by chance4103 »

chance4103 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:38 am My suggestion was not to prevent tanking it was just to make it more interesting.
The bottom 4 teams only have a chance for top 4 picks. The remaining 8 non-play-off teams have a chance for the 5th thur 12 pick. I think this would help the that finish 5th thur 12 place.

Return to “Wally Berger League”