What's the Deal ?

Discussions for the Ford Hernandez League.

Moderators: bostonhitz, swope81, coachcfb1

MidnightHurricane

What's the Deal ?

Post by MidnightHurricane »

is everyone still rebuilding? or are you guys ready to trade to make your team better, and go for a playoff spot .. my team, Cincinnati, is past it's prime and I am willing to blow it up and sell off all I can, but I can't just sell off a few pieces .. so I will take offers, but if I don't see enough interest I may not trade at all .. if that makes sense .. picks and prospects
radicalhapa

Re: What's the Deal ?

Post by radicalhapa »

It seems there is a great shift happening. SD tried to sell off our vets last season and only have one team make offers. That wasn't enough to scrap the whole team so we made a trade for Nelson Kennedy and went for the playoffs again.

Looking at our division, you've got the best team CIN I believe. I think SD could maybe sneak back into the playoffs but it would be a dogfight to the end for a wildcard.

SD may just ride out these vets into the sunset to give them their due. They're all still available, cheaper too!
Zarek

Post by Zarek »

That seems to be the norm unfortunately. I ended up just riding it out on my last run because there weren't any deals really to be made. Makes for a interesting rebuild. Then for me add in a newborn and it's been rough to get back to near the top.
STEROIDS_R_US

Post by STEROIDS_R_US »

I think part of it and I could be wrong but in all my previous leagues I have been in the asking price for veterans like 33, 34, 35 has always been a second rounder, if they are really good then a second rounder and an average prospect but in this league everyone seems to want a first round pick or even worse a first round pick and a prospect. It could be your asking price is just too much and my team has always been a "buyer" for the past 5 or 6 seasons but I have no interest in parting with a first round pick for a player that will last one or two seasons. Also there are only 6 or 7 teams that would be interested in the entire league as all the others appear to be rebuilding so the market is very limited. If out of the top teams , 3 of them decide to rebuild well then there is only 4 other teams that may be interested. Supply versus demand (not very much demand) which would equate to lowering your asking prices if you wanted to really move your vets which you probably do not want to do.
radicalhapa

Post by radicalhapa »

I agree there is a wide range of how folks justify value.

I would tend to ask for a low R1 for OS33 vets who are A overall and play SP. Less, mostly in the form of multiple vets for everyone else.

R2 picks are less valuable in such a big league. Especially picks in the 40s. So a playoff team usually can’t get OS33 studs for R2.

I’m glad we have CP trades. That gives traders another tool.
IC-Wrath

Post by IC-Wrath »

Most of the leagues I've been in are very competitive so they often ask for 1st rd. picks for A- players that are OS28 thru OS32 OR A rated players that are OS33 and older because those owners are willing to pay a heavier price for a WS win.
WS Winners:
YBL: 2086, 2094, 2106, 2109, 2110, 2134, 2151, 2154, , 2155, 2157, 2170, 2171, 2173, 2174, 2175, 2177, 2179, 2194, 2200, 2201, 2215, 2217, 2219,
RBL: 1983, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1997, 2000, 2005, 2025,'56,'61
FHL: 2054, 2056, 2057, 2065
StriplingRz

Post by StriplingRz »

Yeah, lots of moving parts to this. I think the big thing that separates this league from others I have been in is the size. A low 1R pick in this league is basically the same as a middling 2R pick in other leagues. They don't change the draft pool for this league, so we are left with a disparity. So when you offer a playoff 1R pick it just doesn't carry the same weight. But then on the flip side, I have an A overall player that is 33. In most cases that is not just 1 or 2 seasons left in him, it more like 3 and sometimes 4 good years. If I'm giving up a guy who will give you 3 good years and you are competing for a playoff spot I expect more than a 2R in this league.
bostonhitz

Post by bostonhitz »

There is not a lot of trading and retooling because it’s rather easy to not check your team for a month in a 15 gpd league. It’s easier to let your guys develop and stack high picks. There’s no incentive to make trades when you can sit back for 5 seasons and stack talent.

With that being said, people severely undervalue 2nd round picks and focus too much on “stud” players. You don’t need a bullpen of A- high control guys nor do you need an entire lineup of 30/100 guys, that’s not baseball. I think people trying to stack their 1st round picks and let their guys develop until they can “compete” in addition to owners being very conservative causes a stall in trades.

I consider myself to be a bit more on the conservative spectrum (in this game) and find it exceedingly difficult to trade. If you’ve gotten offers from me that you think are unfair it’s propbably justified, because when there’s been 0 other recent trades, why should I offer you full value? I’m the one getting played. Now in my opinion if you don’t make that trade that player rots on your bench and the owner gets 0 value because the owner refuses to take a 2nd round pick that they’ve written off because to them it has no value. You don’t always need a top 5 pick or a generational talent in trades.

Trades aren’t always an even 1 for 1 deal, they rarely are. You can never say “well you’re getting this great guy that I’m only getting this” but the reality is teams have different needs. You take what you get and make the most of it. Trades have a human element and an economic aspect. Incentives are a key in economics.

After all, it’s just a game. Sometimes trades don’t pan out, deal with it and get the better of the next deal.

Return to “Ford Hernandez League”