CP's

Discussions for the Ford Hernandez League.

Moderators: bostonhitz, swope81, coachcfb1

Fitforlie10

CP's

Post by Fitforlie10 »

this coaching points, developing prospects is in my thoughts the past few weeks .. i just received a trade offer from Tampa, and i need to get a better grasp on developing prospects... his offer is first overall pick last off season Judd for third overall pick last off season Valentine .. i had Judd ranked first in my draft order, and when i saw the trade offer i thought ..perfect .. but then i wondered why he would offer me this .. well Judd is 0 for 22 in coaching points .. makes me a little nervous, and it must be driving Tampa crazy .. this is my first question, why is he zero for 22? any thoughts?

my second question which was on my mind for the past few weeks .. is there anyway we know when a rookie prospect turns to the next grade? .. i picked Scott 2 off seasons ago at 14th in the draft .. he was a 17 year old C player .. i was opening he would turn to C+ fairly quickly, like after 10 points .. but it took him 49 points before he turned .. is there anyway to know this before i drafted him? .. i picked Valentine third overall this off season a 17 year old C+, so far after 25 points he hasn't turned to B-
StriplingRz

Re: CP's

Post by StriplingRz »

I'll chime in. I've played this game off and on for 8+ years now. I'm by no means an expert. I tinker, and I play the game a certain way. There are others who have played much longer, and certainly with better attention to the details (IC-Wrath), or with different styles. That said, here is my take on both your topics.

The trade... I'd take it in a heartbeat. You don't have any young pitching prospects, he's rich in them. Take Judd and start you rebuild with him as a building block. (While you're at it, move Morrison to Closer so he gets more IC's). As for the 0-22, nothing to worry about honestly. First, he's a pitcher, they don't improve at the same clip as position players. Second, at his young age and fairly high skill grades it isn't surprising he's not improving much yet, thats just the way the game is designed. Third, it will average out over time. By the time that cat is OS23, he'll be A/A- or A/B+ in velocity/control. Lastly, there is an element of luck to the IC's. But I'd bet he improves alot as a 20-22 year old.

The mystery of player improves... There are league formats out there that make it easier. For example, there is one where the player card actually shows the number instead of the letter. This makes it much easier to see when a player moves an overall grade. But in our format, there is no sure fire way. You literally have to keep track of improves as the season goes along. Once you see one grade move, and you know the range, you can track when he'll hit the next grade. Also, its MUCH harder to predict the overall grade like you are aiming for because that grade encompasses every ability. So for a position player, you are looking at ~12 grades that go into that overall grade. Thats a lot for my feeble mind to track. Again, this is where that how you play the game thing comes in. Me, I don't concern myself with that much detail. I'm looking for certain types of players, fill holes as needed, and trust my predictions on improves when drafting and trading for players. You'll get a feel for it.

Anyway, thats my .02. Others will have more to say I'm sure. Glad you're here and being inquisitive.
bostonhitz

Post by bostonhitz »

Yep, I second Strip. This league isn’t variable development so the curve is normal, random, but normal. He’s not improving because he already has high grades. There is no way to track, you need to keep track and put the point at which they improved in their notes. Every 8 improves is a change (from B to B+) and it’s 3 from F to D-. Pitchers are easy because it’s 16 total improves (excluding End), but batters are a bit trickier since defense is weighed less.

That was a great trade on your end, I think Coach fleeced himself.
coachcfb1

Post by coachcfb1 »

Ahh, I'm all about some fleecing. Tampa will survive!
Fitforlie10

Post by Fitforlie10 »

clearly Judd was/is the best prospect in that draft, and i couldn't turn down the Tampa's offer .. but i think Tampa will be just fine, and will sleep a little better .. as i write this Judd is now 1 for 30 in coaching points and i can feel a little anxiety .. Tampa has some other good young pitchers, and probably will pick first overall again this off season .. and the guy he got back, Valentine, i really like, he will be a difference maker .. i like his power potential, his speed, and i love that he in health an A+ .. he will play everyday, that means his bench doesn't have to be as good .. health matters
coachcfb1

Post by coachcfb1 »

Of course he already has two improvements since leaving my minor leagues.... i fired my minor league coach today, she was my wife... :)

I like Valentine a lot as well. It will be interesting to watch this one for many seasons to see what the actual results show.
Frenchy616

Post by Frenchy616 »

You definitely got a good deal. SPs are less valued early and pick up extreme value around OS 23/24 in our league I've noticed... I tend to draft heavy SP and look to trade for hitting. A lot of people take the opposite route given older vets are cheaper on the SP/RP side i've noticed.

Typically for any team I've won a championship with I try to have 3 key SPs to build with and around. From there it is all about the deals you can win.

I'll be curious if you even read this post though given how much you despise me. Glad your at least willing to go to the board for help. It is the right thing to do to get better. Probably will lead to you having better and less frustration based trade negotiations with others who arent already blocked from trading with you... If forgivness is in your jeans it be nice to be able to deal with a rebuilding team..Wasnt trying to FU** you, hence look at where Bob Speier is now versus when I offered you him. He is gonna be a STUD with another 1.5 seasons of CPs!

Return to “Ford Hernandez League”