Am draft 2

Discussions for the Ted Williams League.

Moderators: nuzzy62, simballerific

nuzzy62

Am draft 2

Post by nuzzy62 »

Just to explain the procedure for the am draft after the expansion draft.

The four expansion teams will be slotted in together for the am draft based on what their average draft position is. We will have to wait until after the regular lottery takes place and after the world series finishes as Cleveland is in the playoffs.

But as an example, let's say Anaheim and Arizona get the first two spots in the lotto and Houston retains its draft position (10th) and Cleveland wins the WS (16th). The four teams have a combined draft number of 29, which would then be divided by 4 (4/29 = 7.25. They would then draft 6, 7, 8 & 9. 6 & 7 are below the average draft number of 7.25 and 8 & 9 are above so it would be two above and two below. If the average draft number is a full number, no fraction or decimal, then we will slot two teams in below that number, one at the number and one above it.

In addition, the four expansion teams will have an equally weighted draft lottery to determine who will get the first slot, the second and so on.

Cleveland could end up drafting first amongst the four teams but that is okay as its current roster should end up being split amongst the four teams.

Also, this will have an effect on the other draft teams. If Cleveland wins the World Series, then the other three teams will end up sliding down the draft slot as Cleveland will move up due to the weighted draft position. Some teams will move up, some down. If Ana and Ari were 1 & 2 then whoever was behind it will move up.
swope81

Re: Am draft 2

Post by swope81 »

Glad somebody paid attention in Algebra.
lemaster

Post by lemaster »

I don't do foursomes. My limit is three.
swope81

Post by swope81 »

One in each orifice?
samtinky

Post by samtinky »

In addition, the four expansion teams will have an equally weighted draft lottery to determine who will get the first slot, the second and so on.
It doesn't really matter, but I thought the expansion teams were placed in the amateur draft in the reverse order of how they pick in the expansion draft. For example:

If team A picks first in the expansion draft they would pick in the fourth spot of the expansion teams in the amateur draft and if team B picks second in the expansion they pick third of the four expansion teams in the amateur draft etc. So if the four expansion teams are picking at 6, 7, 8, and 9 the one that picked first in the expansion draft would be at 9 and the one that picked second would be at 8.

Is it a league rule in the TWL that the expansion teams amateur draft ranking is by lottery?

No worries either way, just wondering.

Sam
todd999430

Post by todd999430 »

samtinky wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am
It doesn't really matter, but I thought the expansion teams were placed in the amateur draft in the reverse order of how they pick in the expansion draft. For example:

If team A picks first in the expansion draft they would pick in the fourth spot of the expansion teams in the amateur draft and if team B picks second in the expansion they pick third of the four expansion teams in the amateur draft etc. So if the four expansion teams are picking at 6, 7, 8, and 9 the one that picked first in the expansion draft would be at 9 and the one that picked second would be at 8.

Is it a league rule in the TWL that the expansion teams amateur draft ranking is by lottery?

No worries either way, just wondering.

Sam
This actually makes a lot of sense. Are you sure you joined the right league?
todd999430

Post by todd999430 »

nuzzy62 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 pm Just to explain the procedure for the am draft after the expansion draft.

The four expansion teams will be slotted in together for the am draft based on what their average draft position is. We will have to wait until after the regular lottery takes place and after the world series finishes as Cleveland is in the playoffs.

But as an example, let's say Anaheim and Arizona get the first two spots in the lotto and Houston retains its draft position (10th) and Cleveland wins the WS (16th). The four teams have a combined draft number of 29, which would then be divided by 4 (4/29 = 7.25. They would then draft 6, 7, 8 & 9. 6 & 7 are below the average draft number of 7.25 and 8 & 9 are above so it would be two above and two below. If the average draft number is a full number, no fraction or decimal, then we will slot two teams in below that number, one at the number and one above it.

Cleveland could end up drafting first amongst the four teams but that is okay as its current roster should end up being split amongst the four teams.

Also, this will have an effect on the other draft teams. If Cleveland wins the World Series, then the other three teams will end up sliding down the draft slot as Cleveland will move up due to the weighted draft position. Some teams will move up, some down. If Ana and Ari were 1 & 2 then whoever was behind it will move up.
In hindsight, I should have kept my two first rounders since they're guaranteed top 5 at this point. Dumb me. Smart SD.
samtinky

Post by samtinky »

Are you sure you joined the right league?
LOL, this is the Hal Chase League isn't it? (I know this is the old 400, but I have fond memories of the few seasons I was in the HCL)
swope81

Post by swope81 »

I'm assuming we can just flip the order of the new teams in the Amateur Draft to mirror the Expansion Draft order once everything's all decided.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

For purposes of running the draft lottery you can just call then expansion 1, expansion 2, etc. Then sort them properly after the expansion draft runs.

Return to “Ted Williams League”