Drunk History of the Ted Williams League

Discussions for the Ted Williams League.

Moderators: nuzzy62, simballerific

todd999430

Drunk History of the Ted Williams League

Post by todd999430 »

What the title says... Please add edits as my memory is not what it once was.

So a long time ago in a land far, far away... 16 members of a similar-to-SimDynasty baseball league jumped over to give Sim Dynasty a try. Given how unique the situation was, they were given the name "The 400 Club" as their league name.

Of the 16 members, only Nuzzy stuck around. In a completely unrelated coincidence, todd999430 joined the league in 1952 when a founding member departed early on.

Most of the early years were spent complaining about the little differences between their tried-and-true baseball sim and our own Sim Dynasty. They wanted a third pitching category in addition to Control and Velocity. They struggled with the value of a C+/C+ 17 year old SP. Overall, they were a good group of guys who shared a love of baseball.

The league was dominated by Askari for the first 20 seasons. He reached the playoffs in 17 of those seasons and won 11 World Series rings. Askari was a ruthless trader who immediately picked up the value of key players and characteristics, often throwing 4th rounders for back-ups who he could turn into something special. Askari also dominated in the draft, often getting players in the 3rd round who you'd normally see go in the late 1st.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the first version of the Detroit Losers (oddly still attributed to the original owner on Team Logs) started their rise during the last few years of Askani's domination in the 400 Club. Detroit made the playoffs every year from 1961 to 1977 and then every other year until their banishment from Sim Dynasty in 1990. (disclaimer: I'm not sure what banishment this was for Todd999430. There were approximately five "time outs" given and multiple "you have to stop" warnings given that led up to each banishment.)

Aferrara was the third member of importance during the first term in the 400 Club. I don't remember anything about him. Nuzzy - Any thoughts here?

Nuzzy, still our commish, was an original member. He's been here since 1950 with the only significant change being when he moved the team out to LA a few decades back. Nuzzy has won 13 championships over his 282 seasons, but his greatest achievement is continuing to fill the TWL with quality owners (plus Swope). In a time where Sim D is dying all around us, the TWL remains strong.

There have been a few notorious owners over our tenure, all worthy competitors.

Phen0m has been in the TWL a few times. He follows his "massive tank for 6 seasons and then compete with a retooling in the middle" format to the letter. He's incredibly successful with it. He's also predictable in that he'll leave the team in complete disarray upon his departure.

Simba has been here from the beginning of the second renewal in 1990. He's the only member in the TWL history to have a dedicated "oh look, Simba won another world series" thread. 45 championships in 240 seasons. He's been in the playoffs more than half of the seasons he's been in the league - that's an insane stat.

Tysonlowery, the founder of Sim Dynasty, also joined the TWL for a bit. Rumors have it that it was to keep an eye on a certain GM. The biggest outtake from his participation in the league was how different an "everyone gets ICs" league truly is. It changes how you develop pitchers and when you bring up prospects to the majors. Tyson won 5 championships in 42 seaosns, leaving a team that was in decent shape for a continued run. He probably would have fun more championships if he didn't have to babysit the OGL in the spare time.

Metsfan joined as a replacement team in 1970. He took over a mess of a team and has won 18 championships in the TWL over the last 200 seasons.

It's also important to note the lack of balance in Sim Dynasty skills in the league for the first term. Aside from the very, very early 1950's where Joesoheavy won 2 championships in 1950 and 1952, Derelict lucking into a random championship in 1960 (with a 85-77 squad), Aferrera taking an early crown in 1951 and a second in 1967 during Askari's inevitable downfall, VinCal609 taking two crowns in 1955 and 1956, Nuzzy in 1953 and 1972... the rest of the championships were all Askari.

A lot of these championships came once Askari had figured out the game and built a powerhouse. Askari won the championship in 1954, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1968, and 1969. Over the first twenty years, he had 11 championships. Insane.

Detroit took a championship in 1965 and 1970, had a nice four peat in 1974-1977, and only had one losing season from 1959 to 1990.

The league shifted after the first renewal to include more typical Sim Dynasty owners. It's been Nuzzy's intention to only include the GMs with notoriety on the leaderboards to the league. Also, Swope.

(
nuzzy62

Re: Drunk History of the Ted Williams League

Post by nuzzy62 »

Just to add to Todd's mostly accurate depiction. The league almost folded in 1970 the main reason being trying to find enough replacement. I was literally the only one of the original 16 who was coming back. The only good thing was they allowed me to start replacing them in 1966 and over the course of the next four years everyone was pretty much replaced. I ended up buying subscriptions to get the final two owners into the league. Barterer, who was once a legend here and frequent board poster, told me I had pulled off one of the most miraculous performances by a league commish by not having it fold in 1970.

Then we had the turmoil for having all these new owners come in and the league was nearly ripped apart from bitching - Sparxx was moved to a new league as well as another owner.

BY 1990, we 'only' had to replace about four owners and things settled down.

The league has now settled into being a place where the best can test each other.
todd999430

Post by todd999430 »

nuzzy62 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 pm Just to add to Todd's mostly accurate depiction. The league almost folded in 1970 the main reason being trying to find enough replacement. I was literally the only one of the original 16 who was coming back. The only good thing was they allowed me to start replacing them in 1966 and over the course of the next four years everyone was pretty much replaced. I ended up buying subscriptions to get the final two owners into the league. Barterer, who was once a legend here and frequent board poster, told me I had pulled off one of the most miraculous performances by a league commish by not having it fold in 1970.

Then we had the turmoil for having all these new owners come in and the league was nearly ripped apart from bitching - Sparxx was moved to a new league as well as another owner.

The league has now settled into being a place where the best can test each other.

I remember Barterer. He was the commish of a league I was in. I referred to him as the “evil commish” a few times and then followed up with some button pushing, semi sarcastic comments. His response was to run to Tyson and get me officially banished from Sim Dynasty. What’s the most interesting part of it all is that the “evil commish”stuff was a joke and a riff on Austin Powers...and it didn’t rank in the top hundred of horrible things I did during my first go around in Sim D. Regardless, it led to my banishment. Good times.

I don’t remember Sparxx at all. What was the story there? What other bits did I miss?
swope81

Post by swope81 »

LOL I personally thought Swope was a great add and has brought a certain level of dignity and class that the league had been missing since the 1952 season.

He's also the yin to Todd's yang.
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

todd999430 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 am
nuzzy62 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 pm Just to add to Todd's mostly accurate depiction. The league almost folded in 1970 the main reason being trying to find enough replacement. I was literally the only one of the original 16 who was coming back. The only good thing was they allowed me to start replacing them in 1966 and over the course of the next four years everyone was pretty much replaced. I ended up buying subscriptions to get the final two owners into the league. Barterer, who was once a legend here and frequent board poster, told me I had pulled off one of the most miraculous performances by a league commish by not having it fold in 1970.

I remember Barterer. He was the commish of a league I was in. I referred to him as the “evil commish” a few times and then followed up with some button pushing, semi sarcastic comments. His response was to run to Tyson and get me officially banished from Sim Dynasty. What’s the most interesting part of it all is that the “evil commish”stuff was a joke and a riff on Austin Powers...and it didn’t rank in the top hundred of horrible things I did during my first go around in Sim D. Regardless, it led to my banishment. Good times.

I don’t remember Sparxx at all. What was the story there? What other bits did I miss?

Sparxx argued about everything just to be contrarian.
todd999430

Post by todd999430 »

nuzzy62 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:15 pm
todd999430 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 am

Sparxx argued about everything just to be contrarian.
As a commish, i can see how this would be frustrating.

As an individual who is forced to watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, this is fine.
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

It's always easier when you are having to deal with one malcontent, but when he stirs up two or three others, it really didn't make it fun.
todd999430

Post by todd999430 »

nuzzy62 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 pm It's always easier when you are having to deal with one malcontent, but when he stirs up two or three others, it really didn't make it fun.
I am glad we banished him.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

Threads like this are the things that make this league great. I would come back at a future renewal if you want me. Quality owners all around here.

Return to “Ted Williams League”