Baseball!

Discussions for the Carl Dunn League.
Paladin1

Re: Baseball!

Post by Paladin1 »

Really? I thought you would be happy to mention '04 ;)
Owenatkinson

Post by Owenatkinson »

Red Sox but I do pull for the Braves since I now live in Atlanta
NDPAF

Post by NDPAF »

I was born in ‘86, so I think I was destined to be a Mets fan. Been some rough years for me. My childhood was punctuated by the failed generation K, and my early teens had the disappointment of the subway series and subsequent years. 2006 was nice, but then 07 and 08 happened. If you want a good laugh take a look at the Mets opening day rosters from 2010-2014. Those are some rough years.

I like to think it’s built character.
Lyrici17

Post by Lyrici17 »

Seattle's 2001 ALCS appearance was pretty neat.

(I won't lie though, that regular season was amazing, and SUPER fun, even if the end result was another letdown -- at least my favorite player, Randy Johnson, won a ring that season, silver linings!).
Last edited by Lyrici17 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

MNRebel wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 am Nothing really to say here...just tired of the Franco Harris League topping our Message Board.
I'm afraid that's partially due to the fact that threads are sorted by creation date and not date of last response.

As for the other question, I loved the Braves back in the 90s with their dominating pitching stuff, I watched a bit of Montreal as this is the only team that I have seen several times when I was in Montreal for a few weeks, and now I follow the Red Sox, but not closely.

I'm not really a baseball fan. In RL I'm heavily into football (as a referee and NFL fan). I do like baseball, but not enough to pay the $250 or whatever is required to watch the MLB here in Europe via the internet. A big issue there is that I can't watch most games live, as they are in the middle of the night for me. (In some years I bought the late season package that is available sometimes for September and the postseason, when I had spare time to enjoy it. )

However, as far as simulations are concerned, there is nothing even close to baseball. I'm a mathematician by trade and fascinated by sabermetrics, and I just love to apply this to the game here. On the other hand, I tried SimD football and never found it very interesting. Too many factors in football, and no way to optimize a roster if we don't know the programming of the simulation.
alanneff317

Post by alanneff317 »

Chicago White Sox. I grew up in North Texas a Rangers fan, but they were SUPER disappointing in only 2 playoff appearances in my teens (which also turned me into a anti-Yankees hater for the rest of my days as well). I lived in Chicago for 4 years during their WS appearance and adopted them. Though Chicagoans could consider me a fair weather fan in those days, in the subsequent decade my fandom for the Pale Hose hasn't diminished and I still hold out for improvements from that admittedly lack-luster Good Guys since then. Also, Cubs fans are totally dicks (in general), but I have a soft spot in my heart for Chicago teams and was definitely rooting for them in the WS a few years back.
alanneff317

Post by alanneff317 »

I live in Central PA now, and prefer the Orioles for local teams... It's nice to have so many teams close, O's, Nats, Pirates, Phillies. Lots of baseball on TV!
Minions

Post by Minions »

I used to be a huge Red Sox fan too, my first "hero" was Wade Boggs, and my Ellis Burks rookie card was a prized possession. When they won the WS in 04 i sort of lost steam, then they turned more and more Yankeelike with buying all these free agents. When they hired Bobby Valentine, I jumped ship. Now being a Wisconsinite (used to live in Rochester, NY....GO RED WINGS!!!), I pull for the Brew Crew. Something more magical rooting for smaller ballclubs. When they are winning, everyone has such a high spirit.

Return to “Carl Dunn League”