Hall of Fame

Discussions for the Carl Dunn League.
Lyrici17

Hall of Fame

Post by Lyrici17 »

Helllo!

So our Hall of Fame coordinator had not been in the league for a few seasons now, so I asked Admin to grant those duties to me, and they obliged.

We've never had a Hall of Fame vote for the Carl Dunn League. Having done a merged league previously, I know the work involved in finding the players for the ballot/etc. (as you have to look at the stats from both leagues). So I'm going to begin compiling a list of players to make a ballot. I welcome any player suggestions anyone has, particularly anyone originally from the Brett Butler League as I won't have access to the sortible stat charts (league leaders).

Furthermore, how do we want to do our hall of fame process? I'd like to offer the following (though I am certainly not tied to it):
  • Players have 5 year of eligibility
  • 75%+ needed to be elected
  • 25%+ to remain on the ballot
  • Owners may vote for as many players as they would like
  • 50% of league needs to cast a ballot for the vote to be valid
Maybe also:
  • Auto-induct at any of 3000 H, 500 HR, 300 W

Anyway, I'll begin compiling. Everyone else feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks!
ballmark

Re: Hall of Fame

Post by ballmark »

In other leagues where I've had the privilege to be the HOF Commish, where we've had trouble reaching the voting minimum to make the vote official, we've gone to a Hall-of-Fame Committee. Where a certain number of owners - in a 24-team league, I'd say at least ten owners - agree to be on the Committee and they are the ONLY ones who can vote, though the entire league can comment and kibitz once the ballot is made public (much like the real HOF).

That way you're assured of a valid vote each time, instead of crossing your fingers in hopes enough owners vote.
Lyrici17

Post by Lyrici17 »

I'm on board with the committee idea a lot. I just took over HOF duties in that aforementioned merger league (after having had a good coordinator for many seasons), and in our first ballot in a few seasons, so far we only have 5/24 votes submitted (1 being me).
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Yeah, the upside to a Committee is that they are all volunteers, so getting them to vote is generally pretty easy. Occasionally you do have to send a private message reminder, but it's a lot easier than pushing/pulling/nagging an entire league.

And the same rules apply -- if you need 75% to get in, then 8 out of 10 have to vote yes. In my other league, a player had to get at least 2 votes to remain on the ballot for those five years. Any player with 1 or 0 votes were dropped from HOF consideration.

But - get this - we also had (in one league) a "Veteran's Committee" made up of a much smaller group - five guys - the five owners who had been in the league the longest :arrow: who went back after a few seasons had passed and looked at those players who had only gotten 1 or 0 votes and all players who had been dropped from a ballot after five years and reconsidered their cases. In those cases, the vote had to be 80% ... four out of the five guys had to vote for the player to induct. Very few were inducted if first turned down by the HOF Committee, but a few got in.
reddogs

Post by reddogs »

I will support whichever the league prefers.
Thank you Lyrici17 for your efforts. This will honor Mr. Dunn.
canauscot

Post by canauscot »

I’m Ok with whichever method.

Return to “Carl Dunn League”